Three Layer Chocolate Cake

Hello everyone!  This is one of my absolute favorite cake recipes I have ever baked, it was a huge hit at parties, and making one was just never enough! The icing used to connect the layers and to coat the outside will be in the next chapter! XOXO 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                                                                                Ingredients:

3 oz semisweet chocolate (I use Callebaut)

1 1/2 cups hot brewed coffee

3 cups sugar

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1 1/2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder (Not Dutch processed)

2 teaspoons baking soda

3/4 teaspoon baking powder

1 1/4 teaspoon salt

3 large eggs

3/4 cup vegetable oil

1 1/2 cup WELL-SHAKEN  buttermilk

3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

                                                                                Instructions:

1. Preheat oven to 300°F (About 149°C). 

2. Butter three 9-inch round cake pans. Line the bottoms with rounds of parchment and butter the paper.

3. Finely chop the chocolate and place in a medium-sized nonreactive bowl. Pour the hot coffee over the chocolate and let the mixture stand, stirring occasionally, until the chocolate has completely melted and the mixture is smooth.

4. In a large bowl sift together sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. In another large bowl use an electric mixer to beat the eggs until slightly thickened and lemon colored (About 3 minutes with a standing mixer or 5 minutes with a hand-held mixer). Slowly add the oil, buttermilk, vanilla, and melted chocolate mixture to the eggs, beating until well combined. Add the sugar mixture and beat on medium speed until well combined.

5. Pour the mixture into the pans evenly and put the pans into the oven (Middle rack). Bake for approx. 35 mins. (Until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean of batter).

6. Cool the layers completely in pans on racks. Run a thin knife around the edges of the pans and invert the layers onto the racks. Gently and carefully remove the parchment paper and cool the layers completely (Layers can be made one day ahead and kept well-wrapped in plastic wrap, at room temperature, or can be frozen for several more days).

6. Before frosting the cake, (Icing recipe next chapter), use a large serrated knife and carefully level off the top of each layer so they are completely flat. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's the recipe for one of my all-time favorites! The icing recipe will be in the next chapter, and can be used with other desserts. Any questions or suggestions can be left in the comments! Have a wonderful day and even better meals!