I'll be there for you, always (A Darry love story)

I have been thinking of writing a new Outsiders story, so I thought of this! Since so many of you loved my first Outsiders story, I thought you'd enjoy this.~

I have known Johnny and the Curtis' for five years. We first became friends when Johnny and I were in the sixth grade, when we had to work on a science project together. At first, I didn't want to work with him, to be honest. He was the quiet kid, and I thought I was going to have to do all the work. Our first day doing the project, we were in the Curtis' house. Ponyboy was sitting next to Johnny on the couch.

"Do you want me to help you guys?" He asked.

He was only nine at the time, and he was just adorable, trying to help us. But the thing was, he actually knew a lot more than we did. So, he helped, on and off. 

Ponyboy had two older brothers, Sodapop and Darry. Soda was our age, but he was in a different science class than we were, so he was learning different things than us. And Darry was fifteen years old, a football player, who didn't care about science. 

So, there we were, sitting in the living room of the Curtis'. Darry was flipping through a football magazine while Sodapop sat next to me, watching me construct the project. 

I know I was only eleven years old, but I found Soda cute. Even though my grandma always said, "You're too young to fall in love." I guess you could call it a Puppy Love. Even though he never liked me back.

A few years later, Johnny and I were in the tenth grade, but Johnny started to only show up to school about twice a week, which eventually lead to him dropping out. I was all alone, in the high school filled mostly with socs. Every day I got pushed around by these four socs. Two of them go by the names of Bob and Randy, and the other two, I never bothered with their names. They were seniors, which made them have more ruling over me.

"I'll get Darry on you!" I shouted in Randy's face, as he twisted my arm.

"Ooh, I'm shaking." He twisted my arm more, "You're nothing but a dirty greaser!"

"You're white trash!" I spat in his face.

I saw the anger in his eyes as he twisted my arm even harder.

"I think we need to teach this bitch a lesson." Bob smirked as he pulled his switchblade out. He held the blade to my face, and I started screaming. I know, I should have screamed as soon as Randy grabbed me. But I was a naive child, I thought I could take them, because greasers were tough. But I wasn't. I was only a little girl. 

I then started coughing, from screaming so loud and hard. Randy stepped back as my coughing got harder. I then eventually threw up on him, and Darry came to the rescue, since he was picking me up from school.

"What did I tell you about them?" Darry said as we got into his car.

"I'm sorry Darry." I said in a quiet voice.

"I was worried about you. What did they do to you?"

"Bob twisted my arm, as Randy pulled a blade to my face."

"Let me see your face." 

I turned my head from looking out the window, but I was looking down, I didn't want him to see the cut on my face. He then lifted my chin up with his fingers. He examined the cut on my cheek. 

"I'll bandage that up when we get back to the house."

We pulled away from the school. Once we got back to the house, Darry ordered me to go to the bathroom and to sit on the counter. I did so. I waited a few minutes until he came into the bathroom.

"So, where's Ponyboy?" I asked. 

"He, Johnny and Dally went to the movies." He said cleaning at my wound, "So, are you excited about this weekend?"

"More than anything." I smiled.

"Man, you're going to be sixteen.. You're getting old."

"I'm not as old as you."

He chuckled, then he looked at my cut, "I remember when I was sixteen." He moved his eyes to mine.

"Hmm, what happened then?"

"Nothing much, just the same ol' same ol'."

I slightly laughed, "Dally tells me I need to get a job."

"Dally needs to get a job himself. He's almost seventeen."

"He's been hitting on me lately."

"Well, that's Dally for ya."

"I don't like him though... I kind of like this other boy."

"And who might that be?"

"I-I can't tell you... It's a secret."

"Is it Ponyboy?" 

"Nope, guess again."  I smiled.

"Sodapop."

I shook my head, "No, remember, I used to like him."

"Oh that's right.. Umm, Steve?"

"Nope. You're never going to guess it." I stuck my tongue out at him.

"Two-Bit?"

I shook my head.

"Johnny?"

I hopped off the counter and left the bathroom, "You're still wrong." I sat on the couch. 

He stood in the doorway of the bathroom, he folded his arms, "Well, the only person left that I can think of who you might like, is me."

I slightly blushed, and looked away from him, "Don't be silly. I couldn't like you. You're too old."

He rolled his eyes, "Oh haha, you're funny."

I smiled big at him. A minute later, Two-Bit came through the front door.

"Afternoon Darry, Anne." Two-Bit said sitting next to me.

"Hey Two-Bit." I smiled.

"What happened?" He pointed to my cheek.

"Bob and Randy happened." Darry said.

"You need someone to watch your back after school."

"I'm fine Two-Bit. But thanks."

"No, I'm serious. I will meet up with you after class and walk you home. Those socs can be hard on us greasers. Especially since you're a girl and all."

"Oh, so, because I'm a girl, I'm not as tough as you or Dally? I can be tough. I can take Bob and Randy on my own. Thank you very much."

"I want him to walk you home." Darry said, "I can't let you get hurt again. You are tough, but I still don't want you landing yourself in the hospital because you tried to be tough and stand up for yourself. Remember last year? When Dally was in the hospital, because he got into a fight with Bob, Randy and their two friends. It was four against one. Even though Dally had a blade on him, he still lost. And I ain't going to let the same thing happen to you."

I huffed, "Fine, I guess you win."

"I can also get Dally to come with us, just in case."

I rolled my eyes and folded my arms.

And that was a year ago. Now I'm almost seventeen and I still have a crush on Darry. But I can't let him know that.