Prolouge

Iris' POV (girl in the picture)

I was walking home from school in the rain when I saw something on the side of the road. It was black and looked like a notebook. 

I walked over and picked it up. It had 'Death Note' written on the front in white writing. This has to be a prank.

Some reason I wanted to pick it up and take it home... So that's what I did.

'There must be something wrong with me for even considering it...' I thought while walking.

On the way home, I tripped over. I closed my eyes ready for the impact but it never came. I shot my eyes open only to see myself about 5 inches from the ground. I looked up and saw a male with dark hair and hazel eyes. He looks younger than me too.

"Hi, my name's Matsuda but you can call me Matt." He introduced himself, standing me up properly (Haha! You thought it was Light didn't you!)

'Surely he shouldn't be saying his real name! I mean... He might not think I'm Kira like the others did...'

"Nice to meet you, Matt. I'm Larissa." I used my alias. I can't be to sure but then I didn't want to be suspicious at the same time.

He looked at his watch, "Sorry, Larrisa. I have to go."

"It's ok. I understand." I said, wanting to get home and out of the rain.

"Bye!" He waved.

"Bye!" I returned the favor.

When he was out of sight I sprinted home, desperate to find out if the Note works and isn't a prank.

I finally got home and when I opened the door, my mum was there with her hand open with a smile. I got nervous.

'Does she want me to hand the Death Note over or does she want the test results?' My head was throbbing and my stomach was churning at the thought of her finding out that I had the Death Note.

"Did you get your test results?" She asked me with a concerned look on her face.

"Y-yeah..." I said and dug through my bag.

I grabbed it and gave them to her. She gasped.

"Straight A's and A*'s! These are your best yet!"

I smiled at her, "I'm going to study so please don't distract me." I said walking up the stairs.

I got into my room but just before I could shut the door she shouted, "DO YOU WANT ANYTHING, IRIS? YOU COULD HAVE ANYTHING YOU'D LIKE!"

"NO THANKS, MUM," I shut the door, "I have everything I've ever wanted." I said in a hushed tone, referring to the Death Note... If it works that is.

I got it out of my bag and placed it on my computer desk. I sat down and read the guide on how to use it.

'The human whose name is written in this note shall die.

This note will not take effect unless the writer has the person's face in their mind when writing his/her name. Therefore, people sharing the same name will not be affected.

If the cause of death is written within the next 40 seconds of writing the person's name, it will happen.

If the cause of death is not specified, the person will simply die of a heart attack.

After writing the cause of death, details of the death should be written in the next 6 minutes and 40 seconds.' It read. It sounds serious but it has to be some prank.

'One try won't hurt right? I'm not actually going to kill anybody because I know it's not real.' I grabbed a pen and thought who's name I could write in the book.

'How about the guy who almost killed my sister?'  I thought, smirking slyly.

I writ down the name 'Daniel Shore' with his face in my head. Seeing him again made me cringe.

"40 seconds, huh?" I asked no one inparticular as I got out of my chair and got changed into comfy clothes.

I snuggled into bed and thought, 'Guess I'll find out tomorrow.'

My eyelids started dropping and a world of blackness covered my vision...