Chapter 13 - She's On The Hunt

Start from the beginning

I really think we need to establish these ground rules we keep mentioning.

“She wants you to fail,” Vance muttered angrily and I shot him a warning look.

“She doesn’t think like that and you know that, she did it to be spiteful.”

Vance glared at me for a brief moment before lowering his eyes but the scowl on his face didn’t disappear at all, “She would have had to known it would hurt us.”

“I didn’t tell her about the chance of the real Alpha coming back with reinforcements...she didn’t know what the consequences of her actions could be,” I growled, getting angry with his doubt in my mate. Vance and Eva don’t have the best relationship but he should know she wouldn’t purposely put me in danger like that, no matter how much she hated me in the moment.

Eva was a lot of things but she isn’t like that.

“I agree with Alpha, she loves him,” Dale piped up and I practically gave myself whiplash as I spun my head to face his directions. My eyes wide with surprise, did he just say she loves me? Eva hasn’t even said it herself to me and some stranger wolf already knows this?

“How would you know that,” I spat as I wiped the shocked look from my face and replaced it with annoyance.

Dale’s body trembled a little in fear and he averted his eyes from mine as he looked to the ground and shrugged gently, “T-the way she spoke a-about you, it’s obvious,” he stuttered a little and shifted nervously in his spot, making sure to not raise his head and look up at me.

My eyes glanced over at Vance and he gave me a bored nod, ‘Honestly if you’re too blind to see it...then I don’t know what’s wrong with you Sax.’

Looking away as I stared up at the trees once more, my mind was reeling. I guessed she cared for me but that’s as far as I would go, she has never once told me she loves me...even though I have told her but I was content with her not saying it back. It’s not like I blurt my true feelings out every single moment I see her.

Eva loves me?

‘Alpha!’ a familiar voice cut through my own thoughts and I shook my head clear, I can deal with this new information later...when I get back home finally. Maybe we can start a family?

My own deep chuckle rumbled through the air as I grinned at the image of Eva’s face when I suggest this to her...I know I will have to be prepared to duck from her fist she sends my way.

‘Frank,’ I called back in an emotionless tone while Vance frowned at me over my little chuckle outburst but I shook my head, silently telling him to dismiss it.

‘We’re so sorry, we should have checked in but you told us to obey your mate-,’ Frank started desperately explaining.

‘We didn’t know she was lying!’ Ryan shouted, cutting Frank off.

I let them continue with their desperate explaining because I know they think I’m going to injure them and the old me would have done so without a seconds thought but I’m a reformed man. I have a mate who I need to prove too that I’m not some ruthless leader, that I can be understanding...ah, stuff it.

The second Frank and Ryan bolted into the clearing, both with downcast and ashamed eyes. I lunged forward, sending a fist into each of their heads with enough force to bowl them both over while I stood my ground. Their loud yelps echoed around all of us as the rest of the pack fell short, opting to stay back in the tree line.

“Did I train you to be idiots?” I roared furiously, “Did I train you to follow someone else’s words blindly, mate or no mate?” my voice thundered all around us, even vibrating the closest trees and sending all the wildlife off in a hurried frenzy for safety as far away as possible from the furious Alpha.