Do You Love Me?

It was an average day.

     Rei was sat, legs crossed on his bed, a science textbook propped on his knees in front of him. His glasses rested on the tip of his nose and his blue hair was messy from running his hands through it so much.

Nagisa had invited himself over to Rei's house to study for their upcoming math exam. Rei found it unusual considering Nagisa's usual hatred for anything related to studying, but didn't bother asking why. Instead, he politely accepted and the two studied together all afternoon.

It was about two hours in and Nagisa had hardly made a sound. Rei was thankful for the quiet but couldn't help but wonder what was on the blonde's mind. The only thing more unusual than Nagisa willingly studying was him being completely silent. Rei's heart dropped. Had something happened at home? Is that why he invited himself over to Rei's house? Nagisa's parents tried to force him to quit the swim club before because of his grades so Rei knew they didn't have the best relationship.

But whether it was Nagisa's parents or not, something was going on. And it was Rei's job as his best friend to make sure he was alright.

Rei pushed his glasses up with one hand and pushed his textbook off his lap. In the span of a few seconds, Rei had prepared his speech.

Nagisa-kun, it seems something is troubling you. If you're comfortable, please do not hesitate to confide in me. I am more than willing to help you through your problems and help you find an appropriate solution.

He smirked confidently, then quickly switched to a concerned expression as he looked over to his best friend. He sucked in a deep breath and started to deliver his speech, but faltered when his gaze fell on Nagisa.

"Um... N-Nagisa?"

Nagisa was staring at him.

It wasn't a casual glance. It wasn't a quick look. Nagisa was openly and blatantly staring at him. His lips were parted in a slight "o" shape. Those startling magenta eyes were focused solely on Rei and he squirmed under the intense gaze. Rei could've sworn the blonde's cheeks seemed a bit rosy.

Rei panicked.

"What's- Why are you-" he sputtered. Attempting to regain his composure seemed to get more difficult with every passing second. Nagisa's eyes were so mesmerizing, his gaze so hypnotizing, his lips looked so soft-

"Rei-chan..." Nagisa breathed, and before Rei even had time to process the smaller boy darted across the bed, positioning himself so that the two were face to face.

"Nagisa-!" Rei exclaimed loudly. It came out as more of a yelp, his shock forcing the response out of him.

What on earth is he doing?

Nagisa giggled and placed his hands on Rei's shoulders. Rei felt his face flush at the sudden contact. His lips tried to form words but none would come, so his mouth just hung open pathetically. If the two stayed like this for much longer Rei was certain his heart would burst.

The blonde's head tilted to the side curiously. "Hey, Rei-chan? Something's kinda been bothering me the past few days. Do you think you can help me out?" He batted his eyelids.

Rei made a noise not at all unlike that of a strangled cat.

"So I read this thing the other day, right?" Nagisa started, apparently taking whatever sound Rei just made as a yes. "And it said that when you look at someone you love, your pupils dilate." Nagisa pouted. "But your silly glasses make it too hard to tell!"