The Thief's Revenge - Ch 25 [press that button... the one that says 'don't' (part two)]

Start from the beginning

Liam looked at me, one eyebrow cocked.

"You're staying at mine tonight," there was no question in his tone. His eyes were hard and determined.

"I'll go back to yours with James afterwards. I was going to have to anyway. Your enforced meeting..."

He nodded sharply. "Fine. If you think it'll help with your teaching, James."

James' voice floated out from the back. "Definitely."

** **

I paced my room tugging on the bottom of my black, long-sleeved shirt.

"What if he rocks up wearing a suit? We'll both look like idiots!"

James, sitting cross-legged on my bed with his eyes closed, sighed. "Firstly, I've already told you that he's thinking casual. And secondly, even if I were wrong, the restaurant is not likely to be popular tonight. No one's going to care what you and your 'date' are wearing."

I ran my hand through my hair. "But what if-"

I was cut off by a knock on the door. I opened it to see Tony grinning cheekily.

"Your date is waiting for you downstairs," he said and gave me a big wink. "Best not keep him waiting."

If I wasn't so nervous about what Luke had to say, I would've blushed. Tony was treating this as if it were my first ever date. He'd been so happy to hear that I wanted a reservation in the restaurant and when he'd found out that I was eating with a male he instantly began giving me advice as to what to say, what not to say, how far to go on the first date. I wouldn't be surprised if he expected a detailed telling of the night's events when I saw him next.

I thanked my employer and landlord and made my way downstairs. Luke was waiting for me at the bottom, thankfully dressed in dark jeans and a grey hoodie. He looked me up and down and grinned.

"Lookin' fine, Red. I didn't get to tell you earlier but I love the new haircut. Makes your eyes look bigger. There's something about a sexy redhead that just hooks me and reels me in."

I blushed. "I thought this wasn't a real date," I whispered.

He tucked my hand into the crook of his elbow and leaned in to whisper in my ear. "I'm still allowed to compliment you. It's a free country."

I shook my head, smiling. "Let's just go sit."

His eyes widened. "We're eating here?" He looked at the restaurant, his nose wrinkling slightly. "As Lion I can get us into some pretty fancy places with private rooms."

I glared at him. "It's here or it's nowhere. If I leave, Liam will know and he'll investigate. So we stay."

He shrugged, as if it didn't bother him, and moved toward the tables. The waitress, who I'd never seen before, showed us to a table in the corner of the room, dimly lit, and left us with menus. I didn't bother opening it, already knowing that I wanted the same pasta Tony had given me that first night.

"Let me just ask one thing before we start," I said. He folded his menu and placed it down, giving me his full attention. Boy oh boy, he was stunningly gorgeous with his soft gold hair and amber eyes.

Snap out of it! Growled my conscience.

"How do you know so much about me?"

He looked a little bit unsure, sort of confused at what I was saying. "Fletcher talks about you non-stop like you're his favoured child or something. It's either you or that 'Moro' girl."

"Huh? Fletch? And you two are acquainted how?" I felt his words hitting me in the chest. Fletch had kept something from me?

He pretended to look hurt. "Fletch never mentioned me? I suppose he has his reasons..."