Light Meets Dark

Kion

"Where did you say Bunga got stuck in again, Fuli?" I ask.

"In the thorn yard. He was trying to help this poor hyrax escape. But the two of them got stuck." The cheetah cub explains.

Fuli is one of my friends and member of the Lion Guard team. Her skill is speed. Her coat is a soft golden-yellow, broken only by patches of tan around her eyes and on her chest and muzzle. Dark, rounded spots dot her back, head, and legs, some of which are hollow and centered with gold, while others are fully black.

She is both brave and clever. Her disdain for other species does not interfere with her inner heroism, for Fuli is willing to jump in paw and tail to save the Pride Lands from harm. Like the rest of the Lion Guard team, she will do what is necessary to keep the Circle of Life in balance, no matter how gritty the work.

"There they are!" Fuli says, pointing her paw ahead.

We both run up to the yard of thorns careful not to accidentally step in any.

"Kion, Fuli! Thank the great Kings your here to help. I kind of gotten into a bad situation." Bunga innocently chuckles.

Bunga too is a part of the Lion Guard team. In fact, he's the first to ever join. He is my best friend.  Bunga is rather short with a well-rounded physique and small paws. His fur is bright blue, an exaggeration of a real honey badger's coat, and darkens considerably around his chest area. White fur spots the backs of his arms and runs up his back in a thick stripe, ending in a pluming white head crest.

"Hold still guys, we'll get you out of there." I said.

Annoyed at the false alarm, the rest of the Lion King Guard team arrives, Beshte the hippo and Ono the egret. We proceed to free the hyrax together, who is soon swallowed by Ushari the cobra. Again, we free him, and he runs away in terror of Bunga's smell.

"Ew, what is that smell?" Fuli asks, while covering her nose.

I shrug. "I don't know. But come out of there Bunga, the hyrax is now safe."

Bunga climbs safely out of the thorn bush. He stood with his hands above his hips shaking his head. "Those silly hyraxes! He had no business being in there. What if he gotten hurt by a thorn?"

Beshte laughs. "Bunga, thorns don't harm hyraxes."

"Huh?"

Ono sits on top of Beshte. "Thorn bushes is what helps protect and hide hyraxes from any predators that lurk by, like Ushari who almost made him lunch!"

"I notice he doesn't like your scent too." I said. "He just took off like he'd seen a predator or something."

Fuli steps forward and gave Bunga a sniff. She jumps backwards covering her nose again. "Agh! I see why. Bunga, dude you reek!"

"Maybe Bunga's strong scent help cover the hyrax." Said Beshte.

We all nod.

"Bunga, when was the last time you took a bath? No disrespect." Ono asks.

Bunga looks up at the afternoon sky and thinks tapping his furry chin. "Uhhhh...I really don't know, Ono."

"Let's take you to the waterhole right now." Said Fuli, picking up Bunga by the scruff of his back.

"Hey, hey, I can walk!" He said, while trying to wiggle himself free.

We all follow behind Fuli to the direction of the waterhole.

"Hey guys, is it just me or does every one else hear near by voices?" Beshte asks, flicking his small ears.

I move my ears like a radar, tuning in every single sound. I nod, "Yeah, I hear it too Beshte. A male and female. Sounds like they're arguing."

Ono flies up to the sky. "I'll take a better look."

Ono scans his eyes around the Pride Lands. That's his best skill, eye vision. He can spot any trouble from miles away. Ono gasps with shock.

"No..."

"Ono, what is it?" I ask.

"Two outsider Cubs are in the Pride Lands! Kion your dad will go nuts if he sees this." Ono says, worried.

"We have to make them leave. Come on guys, Ono lead us there!"

Ono flies fast away. I race after with the others behind me.

Outsiders?

You have to be kidding me?!

"There!" Ono points his wing down.

I follow his point and climb up a medium size high rock. My eyes wonder. They stop as I found one outsider cub. He was calling out a name.

"Tisha!"

Tisha?

"Come on Tisha, I'm really sorry for what I said. We both have to go back home now. It's not safe here! I should've listened to my sister. We're going to be in big trouble." He said.

The cub sat down with an irritated growl. I study his features. His fur is colored a auburn, though his muzzle, paws and underbelly are all creamy brown in color. He sports a dark brown head tuft, and also sports tufts of fur on his elbow joints that match the color of his head tuft and tail-tip.

"Who are you outsider?" I ask, standing strongly on the rock with my small furry chest puff out.

The cub flench at my voice. He quickly stand.

"I mean no harm pride lander. I'm just here to find my friend and go back home. That's it!"

"No. You must go now. If my father finds you here, you'll be dead meat. Hopefully your friend makes it out before he finds he/she first."

"And who are you to give me orders! Don't you know I am the Prince aka future King?" The cub growls.

"My name is Kion, Prince of the Pride Lands and Lion Guard leader. It is my job to protect the Pride Lands keeping the circle of life in perfect balance. My dad told me everything about you outsiders. I won't let your kind get in our way again." I frown.

The cub growls louder at the word "kind". "You might want to watch that word kind."

"Kion, remember Simba said we must treat every animal with respect. No matter the issue." A cheetah cub says, walking up to his left side.

I roll my eyes forgetting the small life lessons dad had taught me.

"In a few years when I'm King I will be back and to make sure to get rid of you first Kion." The cub threatened.

With that, the cub turn around walking to the Pride Lands exit. I continue to watch making sure he's not doing any tricks and is actually leaving.

Who was that?

Did he say King?

He wouldn't be...

No...