Chapter 2: New Bugs In Town

As the debris of split wood chips and glass settled around me, there was a sharp, loud ringing in my ears.

I looked around, my vision doubled and blurry. Jake the new kid next to me was screaming in pain, but i couldn't hear over the constant ringing. He was looking down at his feet. The big gapping hole that was the ceiling and part of the wall of Charlie's bedroom let the sunshine shine throughout, specifically on Jakes foot that was twisted backwards and bloodied. A piece of wood went through his leg, he was bleeding heavily. Instinctively, I crawled over and picked him up, putting his arm over my shoulder. I turned, looked up to see that there was an armed person up in a tree house that stood over the actual house. I already knew it was that kid Gabe's tree house and I thought about how much of an asshole he was for having one. 

I raised my gun over my head and shot without aiming. The gun shots distracted me and Jake fell over  and screamed in pain. I bent down to pick him up as I glanced back to see the person in the tree house. He raised his gun up this his eye, and I knew I was going to die. The thought didn't scare me, I accepted it. I could see the movement of his finger on the trigger, but then the trunk of the tree exploded, presumably from an RPG. I looked away, feeling the warmth of the flames and shielding myself away from the splinters. There was a lot of snapping sounds and the tree leaned over us. I grabbed Jake and we hobbled out of the room and down the hallway, we barely made it out of the room before the tree landed top of the room in a heap of wood and flames. We made our way down the stairs, the roof started collapse. A truck was waiting at the side of the rode with its doors open, expecting our arrival. I lifted Jake up and into the back seat and closed the door as we were already driving off. As we left, I saw the house go up in flames, the foundation collapsing; the last of the Duncan household. 

I clutched the box that was underneath my shirt to make sure it didn't fall out in the house. The shooting continued all around, but it seemed to be under control. Jake would remain stable if his breathing is kept under control, other than that, there was no way to help him until we got back to base. He blacked out from the pain, but he was on a respirator for the moment.

When we got back the medical team took over, so I gave Jake a good luck in my head and sent him off down the hall to the medical ward. Immediately afterwards, I went to my bunk and put the camera and box into my bag without anyone looking. 

The rest of the guys showed up from the neighborhood, they said that it had been picked clean from the enemy, but we picked them off. We hope they won't be a threat so we don't have to evacuate the base. That night, Jake got out of surgery and was recovering in the infirmary. All the guys gathered outside this empty old warehouse, which became the popular hangout spot for most of us. A small few of our female soldiers danced before the war started, and they now dance for us, if you catch my meaning. The warehouse had a few poles here and there in which a few men gathered in a circle to watch them perform. The two women who danced the best were named Cece and Rocky. 

Apparently before the war started, they were very popular, they were on some TV show, but I hardly believe it because no one knows who we were in our past lives. Most guys would be happy right now by watching them, but I wasn't in the mood at all. What I was focused on was those tapes. The voice of Bob Duncan rang through my ears. He sounded so familiar to me and I've yet to wonder why. Tomorrow I will look into these tapes and whatever clues it might have for me in store. 

I walked back to the infirmary to visit Jake, he was conscious; I found him drinking some water. 

"Nice fighting today, kid," I said. 

"Thanks," he said, "And thank you for saving my life sir. If it weren't for you, I'd be in a different place right now."

"No need to thank me, its my job."