Ezria

ARIAS POV-

Raindrops fell and made tiny receding circles in the puddles on the pavement. I stared across the street and through the glass window I could make out Jake's silhouette. Wanting to escape my thoughts, I hurried toward the small coffee shop where Emily works.

...

All of the classic books that lined the shelves reminded me of English class...which reminded me of Ezra. I was only doing the best thing for him by letting go. He has a child to look after...and A might try and target Malcom again if I get close to Ezra. "I am only protecting him," I thought to myself.

"Would you like anything to drink?" A cute waiter clicked his shoes as he was walking towards me. I politely declined as I peeked around the corner to see if there was an empty seat next to the window. I laid my clutch on the table. Something moved in the reflection of the mirror beside me, but I didn't think much of it.

"Aria,"

I turn around abruptly at the sound of the all too familiar voice.

"Ezra."

"Look, I know you told me to stay away. I just can't do that anymore. You're all I ever think about."

The sincerity of his words glistened in his eyes.

"And I can't imagine spending the rest of my life with anyone else."

His hands were fidgeting with the buttons on the sleeves of his shirt.

I couldn't take it. As I got up and started running around the corner, I felt a hand on my waist.

"But Ezra!"

My dress fluttered as he spun me around. He smelled like summer, like restless waves crashing against an unmoving shore. Like a sunset, right before it leaves you with the darkness.

I almost gave in to the sweet temptation, but I knew that if I did, there was no escaping.

So I pushed him away.

I ran and ran until I felt like throwing up. The dust cascaded off of a brick wall as I firmly hit my hand against it several times. Why would I resist the man that I love? Why was living my life such a task now? Why can't I just be happy? It was then that I realized something that was better then satisfaction.

protection.

...

I awoke to the scent of coffee lingering in my room. All of my clothes were in the laundry, so it looked like I was going to dress in sweatpants and a t-shirt today.

I sauntered downstairs and rubbed my eyelids. There are so many humans in this world that are morning-people, but I am not one of them. The bowls in the cabinet clanged together as I tried to grab one. I quietly "eenie-meanie-minie-moe'd" the cereals in our cupboard. Looks like I get to eat Trix today.

"Goodmorning, sweety."

My mom rolled her suitcase in the kitchen. Her boyfriend had recently convinced her to fly to London with her and stay there with him for a while. Sure, I will miss her, but she really needs this right now.

"Goodmorning, mum," I said as I forced out a smile from behind my lips.

"My plane leaves in two hours...I'd better get going..."

"Have fun, okay? Ill really miss you. I love you."

Tears swelled up beneath my eyelids.

She walked over and squeezed me in a hug.

The door squeaked as my mom pulled it shut for the last time in a while.

I sat there, pushing my remaining Trix around the milk in my bowl. Scenes from yesterday kept clogging my head.