The Thief's Revenge - Ch 25 [press that button... the one that says 'don't' (part one)]

Start from the beginning

"Yes?" he said irritably. He listened for a moment, his eyed narrowed in annoyance, before they widened. "Oh crap! Sorry, so sorry. Yeah, don't worry, I'll get her there. Thanks for taking James." He pulled off the wire and shoved it into his pocket. He was still wearing the same jeans he'd been wearing yesterday. I guess I wasn't the only one who'd tumbled into bed without changing clothes.

He pinched my top between his finger and thumb and tugged lightly. "Get your uniform. You're going to be late to school."

I stared at him, panic forming. "I left it at your place."

His eyes widened. "You're shitting me."

"I shit you not. Why don't I just take the day off? We can talk. You seem to like making me talk."

He rose off the bed, taking my hand, and pulled me out the room. I stumbled after him, trying to stay upright.

"If I'm late, I'll get in trouble. If I don't go, you can pretend I'm sick and I WON'T get in trouble!"

He snorted.

I tried my last resort. I leapt at him, pushing him back against the hallway's wall. I kept my hands on his chest, trailing upward as I rose onto my tiptoes and brushed my lips over his.

"We can have the day to ourselves," I attempted a purr but my voice came out all scratchy. It seemed to work though. I felt him shudder slightly and his hands on my hips tightened fractionally. I ran my tongue over his upper lip, keeping my eyes on his. Maybe I could unnerve him the way he did me. He pulled me closer, his mouth inches from mine.

"Nice try," he chuckled, a little shakily but put his arm around my waist and pulled me along with him until we reached his car. My door clicked open.

"In," he gestured for me to climb inside. I scowled at him and lowered myself into the passenger seat. He hopped in the other side and immediately gunned the engine.

"Buckle up," he said, and before I had the chance to do so he slammed his foot down. I fumbled with the clasp, finally shoved it in, and glared at him.

"You're crazy!" I shouted as he wove in an out of two cars, moving ahead of them.

"You love it."

"I don't! I really don't. I'd like to live to be at least sixty."

He took a hand off the wheel and patted my knee. "It's okay. I'm a good driver."

"Put your hand back on the wheel!" I screeched.

He did and slammed his foot down even more on the accelerator. "Maybe I am still a bit mad."

He skidded around the corner to his street and braked suddenly. We came to a stop outside his house. I nearly fell out, being shaken up on the drive over meant my balance wasn't great. I made it to the front door and it opened to Dan on the other side. He cocked his head, studying me.

"You don't look too good."

"The UNIFORM, DAD! Get her the UNIFORM, she's LATE!" Liam beeped the horn behind us. I looked up at Dan wearily.

"He's still a bit mad," I said, feeling like I was about to throw up. "May I use your bathroom?"

"Err, yeah scamp, go ahead... you know where. Just, if you're sick, let me know, um, I'll get you out of school."

I felt a rush of hope. Maybe I could pretend and get out of seeing Jacob, the stupid, horny but oh-so-attractive teacher.

"Don't even think of pulling a sickie. Liam used to try them all the time. I'm a hard-ass and I know when you're lying..."

There goes my plan. I went to the bathroom, finding my box still behind the door and took my time getting changed. I had wasted a good amount of time, the last three minutes messing with my neatly cut hair, before I decided to get going. The first lesson at school would be finishing now. I said goodbye to Dan and strolled out to the car. Liam was tapping the wheel impatiently.