10. I Can't

Maddox's POV:

The next morning I wake up early, around 6 AM, which kind of pisses me off. I was not an early bird. But at the same time I wanted to get out of here and get home so I can prepare everything I need for Destery to come over. I didn't want him seeing anything he shouldn't, just in case he did say no. I also needed to tell my parents to not do anything while he's over. I don't want them to scare him off.

I look over at the boy and smile as I hear small snores coming from him. He looked so peaceful in his sleep.

Last night was incredibly awkward, I should've been more careful though and not shown him that side of me. But at the same time, I was happy I did.

"I have fantasies about you, too." The words echo in my head, which causes me to smile as I slowly get up and get dressed. I'm definitely going to have to ask him about those.

Perhaps if he says yes to what I have planned, then I'll make those little fantasies of his come true.

I sneak out of his room, careful not to wake anyone, and then head out the front door. I get in my car and then drive home.

Destery's POV:

3 hours later...
I wake up to sun shining in my eyes, I really have got to start closing the damn blinds. It's already 9 AM and I turn over only to find the other half of my bed empty.

I quickly get up, slightly worried that I may have messed up somehow and now... Well now he's gone.

I put on some sweat pants and a loose shirt, the typical lazy outfit, and then head downstairs.

Everyone is seated in the kitchen already eating breakfast, but all my hopes of finding Maddox were gone. He wasn't here either. "Did Maddox leave or something?"

"I'm not sure. Haven't seen him." I heard my sister say before she stuffed a forkful of scrambled eggs into her mouth.

Maybe he went home?

I was too hopeful. I sat down and quickly ate the meal: eggs and toast. My mom was always simple like this in the mornings.

After I finished, I was going to retreat to upstairs to get my phone and text Maddox, but Tammy insisted on talking to me. Great, here comes the talk I've been dreading.

She leads me to the basement and then we both sit down on the couch. I raise my eyebrows at her and wait for her to say something.

"You're acting weird..." I hear her say, and she's looking at my face with all seriousness in her voice. "Des, I.. I was wondering if you're into Maddox. It seems like you are."

I bite my lip and then shrug at her question, afraid to hear what she has to say. But that's when the realization hits me. "Are you acting all bitchy and defensive of me around him, cause you like me? And you think I like him...?"

She sighs at what I say and then nods. "I... Guess you could put it that way."

I frown and then look down at my hands. I'm dreading what I'm about to say, but say it anyways. "Tam, I think I'm gay. I think... I want to be with Maddox."

She nods, and I can see the hurt in her eyes. I just broke her heart. "Well, okay. If you like the asshole of the school, then go right on ahead. He's going to use you and break your little heart. He doesn't even want you for anything more than your body!"

Before I can respond, she's on her feet and then running upstairs. She's probably about to cry and doesn't want me to see.

Hopefully she'll get over this... And we'll be okay soon, right? And she can't possibly be right about him. He doesn't seem like that type of person. But maybe I'm wrong.