The Summer of 1959

~ Skye's P.O.V ~

I was twelve years old when I saw a dead human being for the first...but definitely not last, time. It happened in the summer of 1959. During that summer, there were good and bad days. My life seemed simple. After all, I was a female adolescent... but after one adventure during that time, my life became more than just daydreaming about James Dean. That day and a half gave me a reality check...it made me the person I am today.

I was living in a small town of Oregon, Castle Rock. There were only 1281 people, but to me it was the whole world.

I was running through the woods, eager to meet up with my friends Gordie, Chris, Teddy, and Vern. I'd known them for a year and a half. I was a bit shy towards the free spirited boys at first, but I had finally started to feel welcomed. I loved every single one of them.

As I came closer to the homey treehouse, I could hear the radio.

"Hey it's the bossman Bob Cormier here. It's a beautiful Friday morning in Portland! It's 90 K.L.A.M degrees and getting hotter! Up the latter with another platter! It's Bobbie Day with 'Rockin' Robin', it's boss!"

I smiled. I heard the tune to one of my favorite songs and began to sing along. I climbed up the treehouse. It took me a second to remember the secret knock, but I did, eventually.

The door opened to reveal Gordie Lachance, my close friend and next door neighbor. He would have climbed up the treehouse right before me.

"Thanks Gordie!" I beamed, still singing. He snickered and greeted me. He quickly ran back to Chris and Teddy who were playing cards at the table. I sat on the floor beside them, Snapping my fingers along to the beat of 'Rockin' Robin.'

"Hey Skye." Chris and Teddy said in unison.

"Shh shh, guys you're interrupting my song." I happily joked with closed eyes. Chris rolled his eyes and Teddy gave me a questioning look.

"What's put you in such a good mood?" He asked.

I shrugged and looked at my surroundings. "Don't know, Teddy. 'Guess it's just one of those days."

He turned away from me and focused on Chris, who seemed to be winning the game thus far.

"Hey, how do you know a Frenchman's been in your backyard?" Chris asked him. Teddy sighed and took a puff from his cigarette. (A/N: I'm  sorry if I'm not saying that right I don't spoke lmao.)

"Hey, I'm French, okay." Teddy warned. I scoffed.

"Your garbage cans are empty and your dogs pregnant."

I didn't get it, but whatever. I took one look at Chris and Gordie's amused facial expressions and began to laugh anyways, failing to understand the joke.

"Didn't I just say I was French?" Teddy repeated with attitude.

"I knock." Said Chris, referring to their game of cards.

"Shit."

"Twenty Nine.

"Twenty Two."

"Piss up a rope!" Shouted Gordie, I smiled widely and watched as they all burst into laughter.

"Gordie's out. Oh Gordie just bit the bag and stepped out the door!" Their laughter died down and Chris recollected himself.