Chapter 28; Family Reunion

Start from the beginning

****

    I sigh, wiping the sweat off my face. I should probably get back to the tent. It's been an hour since Lewis and the other Lost Boys left the training grounds. I stop in my tracks. I think I just heard a someone cry out in pain. I shake my head, I must've imagined it. There it is again! I pick up a spear and slowly make my way towards the sound.

    It's coming from behind the trees.
    "Come on, runt," says a voice. "Fight. Back."
    I hear a groan as he says the last two words.
    "Forget him, Drew," says another voice, this is one deeper.
    I peer though the leaves, there's a boy lying on the ground. The boy's eyes are what catches my attention.

    I could recognise those Hazel eyes. It's Ray. He lies on the ground, bleeding. Andrew, ignores his friend and kicks Ray. I flinch as his foot comes into contact with my brother's stomach.
    "Hunter, this runt made us look bad in font of everyone." says Andrew, turning to face the blonde boy, Hunter.

    "For once, my brother is right," says another boy. His hair is a few shades darker than his brother's striking blonde hair.
    "For once?" Hunter exclaims, annoyed.
    The boy continues talking as if his brother hadn't spoke. "Drew, this boy is friends with Alice. His brother is the infamous Will Roberson. If Pan doesn't kill you, his brother will."

    Andrew scoffs. "I'm not afraid of a sixteen year old boy, Jerome."
    "You should be," I say, stepping out from behind the trees.
    The three boys glance at me, probably thinking of which option would help them, fight or flight?
    "Go away, little boy," Andrew jeers. "This is Lost Boy business."
    So they've chosen to fight.

    "That's my brother you're beating up," I say, gesturing with my spear. "That makes it my business."
    "A sharp stick. Wow, I'm so scared," jeers Jerome.
    Ray spits out blood. "Go back to the campsite, Chris, this isn't your fight."
    Andrew chuckles. "Yeah, listen to your brother, little boy."
    I grit my teeth, tightening my grip on the spear. "My name is not 'little boy'."

    I swing my spear and hit Andrew in the temple with the butt of my spear. The older boy falls to the ground, unconscious. I glare at the two brothers who are now staring at their fallen leader.
    "Who's next?" I challenge, swing my spear in an arc.

    Jerome gives his brother a look and they both get into a fighting stance. Hunter throws a punch at me, but I'm too fast for him. I duck and hit him in the chest, sending his sprawling onto the ground, wheezing.
    "That's my brother, you little shit!" snarls Jerome.
    "An eye for an eye."

    He lunges at me. I swing my spear under his legs but he just jumps over it. I try to knock him out the same way I did with his leader but he grabs the spear from me and breaks it in half.
    "I never liked that spear anyway," he says, throwing the broken pieces away.
    I bring my hands up to protect my face. "Think about what you're doing."

    "Your leader is down and your brother is dazed. Are you really going to try your luck at beating me in a fight?" I ask.
    He circles me. "You don't scare me."
    "I can wield any weapon known to man, I could've killed you if I wanted to," I say. "Are you still sure that you're not scared?"
    Jerome growls. "You hurt my brother, I'm going to kill you."

    "I'd like to see you try," I taunt.
    Jerome runs towards me, attempting to tackle me. I had just enough time to swerve aside. But Jerome has other ideas, he places his arm around my neck, keeping me in a choke hold. I gasp for air, clawing at his face. I reach for his neck, searching for his pressure point and press it. Jerome then releases his grip on me, hitting the ground.

    I walk over to Ray, stretching out my hand.
    "Since when did you learn how to use a weapon, or fight?" he asks, taking my hand.
    "Since you left," I say. "It was father's idea."
    "Why didn't you fight back?" I ask. "Dad made you take self defense classes when we were younger."

    "I wanted to," he admits. "But every time I feel like fighting back, I always remember what happend to me in the eighth grade."
    "It wasn't your fault."
    "Chris, I put those boys in a hospital."
    "It was self defence," I say. "You didn't intend to hurt them."
    "But I did, I hurt them."
    "These boys aren't like the ones at our old neighborhood."

    "I just don't want to stoop down to their level."
    "There's a fine line between protecting yourself and stooping down to their level," I tell him.
    He remains silent.
    "Promise me something, Ray."
    "What?" he asks.
    "Promise me you'll stand up for yourself the next time," I say.

    "Alright, Chris," he says. "For you."

****

    "I was wondering where you boys were," Alice says, walking towards us.

    Ray and I spent our break catching up with each other's lives. I told him about our half brothers and sisters. I told him how mother and father were happy now that the both of them had found someone new. I told him how they grieved for him every year, on his birthday.

    "Oh, we were just catching up," I say.
    "What happend to your face, Ray?" Alice asks.
    "We were just wrestling," I say.
    "That's all? No run ins with the trio?" she asks.
    "Nope," I say, looking at my brother. "No run ins at all."

-

Well this chapter is shit. I blame my lack of inspiration atm. Writer's block really sucks. *sigh*

How are you guys? I'm just enjoying my four day school holiday. I forgot how much I hated school. Speaking of school, my exams are coming up so I apologise in advance if I don't update as often as I used to.

I'll try to update as often as possible, but I might not be able to due to my upcoming exams. Please don't stop reading just because of that.

Well, I guess that's all for this A/N, bye 👋

~ Alice xx

-

Do you guys like the quotes I write at the beginning of my chapters?

-

Vote, comment, rate, do whatever you what <3

-

Edited: 24.11.2017