Of Witches and Vixens

A/N: I'm terrible with titles, so hopefully inspiration will hit and the title will change to be a more interesting one.

Prologue:

There have been books upon books of prose filled with the importance of a first glance. Much fuss is made of the concept of love at first sight, and the argument on whether it can exist has continued on as long as the concept has existed. In jobs, in school, in relationships, the first glance that two people have of one another has been heralded as a defining moment. In loving relationships, the participants will often claim that they knew their loved one was theirs the moment they laid eyes upon one another. In antagonistic relationships, people will claim that they knew their opponent wasn’t a good person from the first sight of them. If two notable people have their first meeting recorded by picture or video, the captured moment will be brought up numerous times by the participants or interested parties.

The first glance of the two who would go on to change the world together was not one of interest. They would likely never remember the truly first time that they met, and no one else was around to testify to their first meeting. There was no true emotion, no real interest, and the two went on their separate ways immediately afterward, not knowing that every step they took would lead them right back to each other.

That the weather was about to change for the worse was far more notable at the time. Above the city storm clouds were beginning to set in, blocking out the sun that might’ve shined on the first glance of the fated duo. One, ever prepared for any eventuality, had a small umbrella tucked in her bag, ready to pull out at the first sign of rain drops. Her feet were firmly encased by fashionable boots, and they matched her raincoat precisely.

The other had no protection from the rain, and was mainly concerned about finding a place to duck into and be spared of the ensuring shower. The storm meant that people watching was out of the question as most would stay indoors, and the lack of people also meant a lack of food that she could swipe.

Since the street was a popular tourist site with its many cafes and shops, the sidewalk was tiled rather than the simpler concrete and it was easier to hear another walking along it. Surprised at the sound of anyone out walking before a storm would break, the two looked up and looked at each other for the first time.

One girl was very surprised at such an unusual sight in that part of the city, but disregarded it as she had seen stranger things. She did note the striking color of gold eyes amongst reddish hair that would probably look lovely when clean, but dirty and matted at that moment. As such, the sight was forgotten by the first girl and would not be remembered other than as a hazy moment.

The other girl wasn’t really surprised at all, because most would endure discomfort as long as they had something important at the goal. She knew such a feeling well, especially when it meant food was her goal. But the girl with long dark brown hair, tucked up with clips in a style she was accustomed to seeing on the young girls who lived in the town, she was probably going to an after school job of some sort, the local schools had ended by that time and she had seen many teenagers bustling about for their part time jobs. The girl didn’t seem to have any food, and probably wouldn’t give her any food regardless, so she broke the glance and the two went about their day.

It was an ordinary glance in an ordinary place. No fireworks, no butterflies, no tangible memory to reflect on when they felt sentimental. The forgotten first glance in an ordinary place, between two extraordinary people.