Contribution to Humanity

Start from the beginning

"Then sure, I don't mind." I smiled.

Jack turns around to finally pay attention to the conversation. He's been glued to the chandelier and how it makes the paint on the walls appear to shimmer. Like a child who has never seen Disney Land.

"What's going on?" He says as Mr. Abbot walks back toward the desk.

"Were getting a penthouse." I said taking a few steps forward.

"Whoa! A Penthouse!" Jack says clapping his hands together.

"Nice!"

A few moments later we arrive at our penthouse. There are two on this floor whose balconies overlook the city at 15 stories high. The elevator room houses vintage ottomans in red velvet. The color of royalty with gold wallpaper as its backdrop. Mirrors hang above the ottomans with intricate designs laced in silver. A truly luxurious view. I can't wait for what our actual penthouse has in store.

We approach the door to the Penthouse. Mr. Abbot uses the key and opens the door to reveal a large open space. Within the large open space sits a social circle. Luxurious couches with designer fabrics all laid out in the middle of the open space. Behind the social circle sits a white grand piano.

I gasp.

Without saying a word, I enter the room and head straight for the piano.

"I'm sure you'll find everything to your liking." Mr. Abbot said entering the room behind me. "You may dial room service for anything you need, even laundry, don't worry about the cost, NASA will take care of everything." He smiles while Jack and I have already found our favorite things about the room.

Jack has already turned on the flat screen TV in front of the couches. He has a childlike grin on his face as he skims through all the channels it offers.

"Well, I will leave you to it then." Mr. Abbot says as the bellhop brings our luggage into the penthouse.

"You'll have this evening to settle in then the work begins at 9 am sharp, so enjoy while you have the chance. We will be in touch." Mr. Abbot says as he leaves the penthouse. He disappears from behind the door.

"Thanks!" Jack yells as his eyes fixate on the flat screen.

I sit at the piano curious, stroking the keys so that the softest sounds escape. I wonder what the next few weeks will entail. It's work that I've done hundreds of times, but it feels different now. I can't place the feeling it causes. It's unknown to me.

"So, you want to order room service?" Jack says approaching the piano and leaning against it.

"Damn, this things is nice." Jack says caressing the grand piano's surface.

It made me smile.

"I want one just like it one day." I said grinning ear to ear.

"Better start saving." Jack says. He leaves the piano's side to grab a room service menu resting on an end table with a telephone.

He scans the menu and brings it to me.

"What are you in the mood for? Fish? Chicken? Should I surprise you?" Jack says reading through the menu.

"Ohh sushi, do they have sushi?" I ask eyes gleaming for a craving.

"I'm pretty sure they have everything Jeanette." Jack scoffs under his breath. "I'll get you sushi. Just wait you're going to love this."

"I'll take a California roll if they got it and a side of vegetables please. I'm going to go unpack." I told Jack restless.

I grabbed a few bags of my luggage and entered a bedroom to the left of the living room.