II: Parallelism

[EDITED 14/11/11]

“Let’s hurry… and return to where it all started.”

Pirouetting city lights flashed brightly, lighting up the murky, polluted night sky. Delightful chatter and laughter filled the air. Facciata buzzed with raw excitement and simple happiness.

Warm air puffed against Alice’s exposed cheeks. The humidity made itself known to her, squeezing against her pale skin, stirring her clothing. Alice’s sharp teeth worried along her pinkish-red bottom lip, her eyes occasionally flickering up. The thick, dusty-black eyelashes that framed them brushed against her high cheekbones when she angled her head downwards.

Exhaling harshly, Alice reached up to tug at the fur-rimmed hood, tucking her layered hair back over her shoulders. The darkened and dirty street managed to sparkle, boosted by the throbbing feelings of the humans that inhabited it. Merry stores screamed for her to give them her attention.

It was on this very normal day that she met him again. Serenity Redbird. His name was irony in itself. To Alice, Serenity was a violent man. He always, always attacked her upon sight, which made this a frequent occurrence, due to them being classmates. Well, that was how he treated her anyway. He had reason enough to do so. Serenity was a fragment of her high school days. At least until this day.

The fading trail of smoke that curled in the already filthy air had alerted her of his presence. It swirled around, breaking her train of thought. So Alice’s gaze had strayed to her side.

He was just there. His back pressed against the glass wall of a convenience store. His lean shadow stretched out casually in front of him, his calm face glowing in the luminous lights. His neat caramel-blond hair falling perfectly around his strong jaw, brushing his closed eye lids. The burning end of his white cigarette dropped ash on to the damp floor, hissing as it made contact. Alice stared blankly, frozen in the midst of the crowd as he took a drag from it.

Serenity Redbird? Truly and really there? 

A trick of fate, perhaps? Why now and why him?

Finally, Serenity opened his molten-amber eyes. It was just the two of them now, silent in this black world. He had seen her. The quiet was deafening, a mumble of unspoken thoughts running in between. Glossy cars drove past, but the sound remained muted to the two. Recognition seared.

Rain started to drizzle down on the city of Facciata, turning heavy at a quick pace. Droplets stained the floor. Thunder and lightning started to play out a beautiful symphony.

Alice could not hear Serenity over the crashing white sheets of water but her crimson eyes widened when she stared at his moving mouth through the blur.

Alice Nightray.”

He smirked.