Chapter 14 - Promise Under the Cherry Blossom Tree

Start from the beginning

***

Ran's House

"Oh, you're back already? Welcome home. Dinner's ready" Ren greeted them.

"We're home, Ren-kun" She sniffed "This smell... Steak?"

"Yep! I made your favorite, a tenderloin steak. Oh, I made it medium-well as you always request" Ren said happily.

"Uwa! Arigatou, Ren-kun! Come on! Let's eat, Aizen-san" She said and she ran towards the table.

"Oh, I don't know your preference so I leave it medium-well too. Try to learn something new while you're in human world. It's fun if you're learning from them. Come on!" Ren headed to the table, followed by Aizen.

Ran already seated while Ren take the seat beside her and Aizen in her opposite. He observed the food and both Ren and Ran could tell he was confused of what's in front of him.

"Um, Aizen-san?" She called him and Aizen glanced to her "It was called steak. Beef steak to be precise"

"I see. And what's with that medium-well thing?"

"It's the meat temperature. You could get rare, medium rare, medium, medium well and well done. Yours and mine are medium well. It should have slightly pink in the middle so it's not cooked through" Ran explained. It made her remembered before she was explaining about schools to Aizen and now she was explaining about steak. She found it amusing.

"Mine is medium rare. It's not raw but the middle still red. It was very common to be ordered for few people.

"I see. Interesting. Learning human's culture is rather fun" He then cut the steak open and looked at the meat. As Ran explained, it has slightly pink in the middle. He cut a little and took a bite from it. "It's good"

"Right? Ren-kun is very good at cooking" Ran praised him. The three of them continue eat their dinner. The feelings is kinda weird for Ran, obviously because Aizen was in her house. The man who kidnapped her. The man who she should considered evil but instead...she felt happy having someone else in her house. "Um, Ren-kun?"

"Hm?"

"Is dad still working? Or..."

"I...guess so..." He hesitated but he could look Ran knew he was hiding something. "He...hasn't being around for three days. I don't know where he went"

"I...see..." Ran's face became sad. Aizen wanted to ask her about her father, but not one words came out from his mouth. It was like he knew Ran will not told him anything. It was like he felt he will asked a taboo question. She quickly excused herself and bring her plates to the kitchen. AIzen looked at her parting figure and back at Ren. 

"...You don't have to know now about her father. It's useless" Ren said as he drank his drink. Aizen could felt there was something...bad about her father.

***

Midnight

Unfortunately for Aizen, he could not slept at night. There was something bothering his mind. Before they go to sleep, it was decided Aizen will slept at Ren's room together with Ren. Said it will be rude if a guest sleeping in the couch. He then slowly open the door without waking Ren up and exit the room. He went to the kitchen and grab a glass and poured with water. He drank it with a single gulp and put the glass in the sink. He then sit at the couch for awhile as he realized a movement in Ran's room upstairs. 

He raised up and went to her room. Before he could knock, he put his ear to the door and heard voices inside. A man's voice and he could hear...Ran's crying voice. He immediately open the door and startling the people inside. The man has golden hair with bloody red eyes, and it looks like he was trying to calmed Ran down as he found Ran was really crying.