Chapter Eight

As I walked down the hallway, all I could think about was Ponyboy lying in that hospital bed. I hated seeing my boyfriend hurt. I was away in my daydreams when Steve suddenly poked me.

"Is that feller over 'der da one y'all beat up?" he asked. I looked to where he was pointing and saw a nicely dressed guy on a stretcher. His clothes were covered in blood and mud. And he had a black eye.

I nodded and took off in that direction. The small white card on the bed read, "Chase Michaels," and had his information on it.

Chase moaned, then shut up when he saw me. "I guess we're even now, huh. But if this kills me you will never be the same. I'll kill ya."

"Oh really? Well I hope it kills you because you hospitalized my boyfriend with a concussion." I wiped away the blood stained tears. "He might not make it, thank you very much."

I stormed away, full of anger. I needed a break. There was only one place to go: home.

•••

I carefully used the key in my pocket to open the front door. I crept inside and walked to the kitchen. As I figured, my mom was making something.

"Mom...?" I said quietly. My mom turned around to face me.

"Jessica? Jessica!" My mother started crying and laughing at the same time. "Honey, what happened?" She whisked me away into the bathroom to fix up my wounds.

"Oh revenge, that's all." I grinned.

"Where have you been? You were supposed to call! You just left! I thought you had gone to your dads'. Where have you stayed?" My mom worried a lot.

"I was staying at the Curtis' house. Mom, you're making a big deal. I was only gone for a couple days, not a month." I flinched as she dabbed medicine on a cut.

"Jess darling, it's my job to worry. I can't let you leave me like Grace..." She started to tear up.

Grace was my older sister. She was 4 years older than me. She left my mom and I a few years ago. She hasn't called, written, visited, nothing. She disappeared and I don't plan on her returning. Grace was always a bad hood. I bet she got hitched with her boyfriend and ran away to the big city. I missed her sometimes.

"Don't worry, ma. I love you too much to do anything like that." I hugged her.

"Aww, I love you too honey. So what exactly happened...?"

I explained everything from our date to seeing Chase in the hospital. While I was talking, my mom had finished cleaning me up and took me back to my bedroom.

"Oh my... It sounds like you've had a big day. Rest for a little and I'll bring you some dinner. Maybe tomorrow Ponyboy will be cured!"

"Okay.." I sighed. I curled up under my sheets. My cat, Natalie, jumped onto the bed. I scratched behind her ears and listened to her purr.

Moments later, my mom walked in with her famous chicken noodle soup. I savored every bite until I was stuffed.

She checked on me when I was done, then left so I could get some sleep. She let me have Natalie. I curled up under the sheets and passed out within minutes. I slept the whole night, dreaming about the gang, especially Ponyboy.