Chapter seven: In the Flesh

Start from the beginning

Harrison sits with the girl at the dining table. The dead cat is belly up. All four of the limbs have been pulled away from the body and nailed down. Harrison is teaching her how to handle a knife. He shows her how to hold a scalpel. Harrison holds her hand steady as they make the first cut together. A long incision the length of the cat is made. From neck to anus they slice through fur and skin. Grabbing the flaps of the cats flesh, Harrison pulls the skin apart, revealing the innards. The little girl has seen all of these organs in books and flash cards, but to see the real thing in the flesh is a special treat. The blood puddles around the corpse, soaking into the fur so much that it's hard to tell what color the cat had been. The little girl has seen blood before, but never this much.

Harrison can see she is a bit hesitant. Harrison dips his finger into the cat's blood and holds it up. "See. It's just blood." He touches her nose, leaving a bloody finger print behind. Harrison smiles at her as she begins to explore, rubbing her hands through the blood. It's still warm and slippery to her touch. Digging with both hands in to the cavity of the cat's abdomen, she juggles and squeezes the slimy intestines between her fingers, making squishing noises.

Harrison encourages her, "That's it...there's nothing to be afraid of."

She cups her hands together and scoops blood up, letting it trickle through her fingers.

"Good." Harrison is pleased. "Do you like that?"

She nods in approval, "Tabby's pretty now."

Harrison chuckles, "Yes, Tabby is pretty now." He indicates her blood covered hands, "Just like you."

She holds her hands palms out, showing them to Harrison. He smiles and she smiles back. This is the first time Harrison can remember her smiling at him.

Harrison decides it's time. "What would you like to be called? Any name you want."

She stares at him for a moment, thinking to herself. The only name she knows comes to mind. "Tabby."

Harrison looks at her, "No, not Tabby...how about, Abby? It rhymes. Do you like that name? Abby?"

She nods, "Abby...I like Abby." She would prefer Tabby, but she is scared to disagree with him.

Harrison locks the decision. "Abby it is! Now clean up this mess and get to your room. I'm going out to get you another animal...how about a dog this time?"

Missing Pets

Detective's Brandy Page and Ronald Travis are at the station, working at Ron's desk. Their case load has been full as of late. There has been dozens of reports of missing pets. Mostly cats and dogs have come up missing. A local farm owner has reported several of his livestock stolen. Three goats, four chickens, and a pig have all vanished over the past few months.

All of the animals that have gone missing are within a 3 mile radius of North Point. The detectives are fairly certain that whoever is behind it must live locally. One thing is for sure, the people responsible have been careful not to leave any traces of evidence behind. Police are taught to look for patterns. The animal abductor doesn't seem to have one.

Brandy reads over the numerous reports. "They're all so random...it doesn't make sense."

Ron gives his two cents, "There isn't always a pattern. Sometimes random is the pattern. It's probably some satanic cult sacrificing animals for their rituals or something."

Brandy laughs. "Sick freaks."

Ron laughs too. "Shit Page, I got a dog. I'm puttin a GPS tracker in his damn collar!"