Long Lost (A Carl Grimes/Walking Dead Fan fiction)

Alex's POV

Leaves crunch under my feet as I search for shelter for the night. I keep my eyes peeled for walkers.

It has been two years since the zombie apocalypse broke out and for a fourteen year old girl, I think I've done pretty well. I have always been one of those girls that are good at defending themselves in sticky situations. But still, I can't believe I'm still alive. I was separated from my group about a year ago and occasionally I miss them. But then other times I'm happy that I only have to watch for myself.

I continue walking until I come up to a prison that looks like someone has taken shelter in. I begin to walk towards it, until I hear a clicking sound and the cold metal of a gun against the back of my head.

"Put your hands up and turn around slowly." I hear an extremely familiar voice say. I raise my hands and slowly turn around, as the voice said. As the man's face comes into view, my eyes widen in recognition. How could I forget such a voice?

"Rick?" I ask, a grin creeping up on my face. He drops the gun and smiles widely.

"No way! Alex Johnson?" He asks. I drop my hands and tackle him in the biggest hug I have ever given. Tears of happiness stream down my face as I bury my head in his chest.

"Yes!! Yes it's me, Alex." I say still crying. Rick was my best friend's dad. I saw him almost everyday before the world went to shit. I was so happy to see him again. I looked up at him and he was still grinning ear to ear. He put me on his back and carried me to the prison gates. A woman with really short hair opened the gate the closed it behind us. Rick put me down and looked at the woman.

"Carol, this is Alex. I have known her all her life." Carol smiled and stuck her hand out for me to shake. I took it and shook it lightly.

"Nice to meet you, Carol" I said politely. she shook her head and muttered a small: "You too"

Rick put his hand on my shoulder and let me into the prison. As I walked through the doors, I saw about 7 people sitting there talking. Once I walked in, their heads turn around.

"Guys, this is Alex. She will be joining us." He looked at me. "Alex, this is Daryl, Hershall, Maggie, Glenn, Michonne, Beth, and Merle." I smiled and waved. They all stood up and came to shake my hand. First was a girl, she looked about 16, with blonde hair.

"I'm Beth." she said, shaking my hand. There was a line of people coming to meet me. First Beth, Then, a girl with short, brown hair introduced herself as Maggie.

Next was a man with one leg on crutches who said his name was Hershall.

Then an Asian man came up and said his mane was Glenn.

Then came a man who had a metal hand. His name was Merle.

Next came an African-American woman with a katana blade. Her name being Michonne.

Last was a man carrying a crossbow, and he looked a little like Merle. He looked at me.

"Anyone with ya?" I shook my head.

"How long you been alone?"

"A year." I say. His eyebrows raise in surprise.

"You seem like a badass kid." He said. I smirk.

"I guess you could say that." I say, still smirking. He smiled.

"I like you, we'll need people like you later on. I'm Daryl." I smiled at him and go sit down next to Rick.

"So, where's Lori?" His eyes sadden and he looks to the ground. My face drops and I hug him.

"I'm sorry. I know how it feels." I say. I feel water on my shoulder and see that Rick is crying. I pat him on the shoulder and sit silently. 

After a while, He sits up and takes me to the cells. He helps me get settled in my own little cell and heads out. After I get everything set out to my liking, I get up and walk around. I look into every cell and they're all empty. Except one. As I walk past one cell, something catches my eye. I look inside the cell and my eyes widen. There he is. I never thought I'd see him again. But he's there, looking at his hands, in Rick's old hat. My face breaks out into a grin and I run and tackle him in a hug. He snatches his body away from mine and stares at me in disbelief. He shakes his head and looks again. I look at him quizzically.

"What Carl? It's me! Alex?" I say. He keeps the same look on his face.

"No. It can't be!" I'm getting kind of scared now.

"What Carl? What is it?" I ask creeping closer to him. He points his finger at me.

"You were dead! I saw you in walker form the other day!" He screams.

"Hmm, well as far as I know I'm still alive dumbass." I say, smiling just a little bit. He reaches out to touch me. His hand touches mine and tingles shoot through my arm. He smiles and tackles me in a hug, landing on top of me.

"Oh my god Alex!! I missed you so much! I thought you were dead! It was terr- Oh look you grew boobs!" He said, inches from my face.

"Well thanks?" I say laughing. This is how me and Carl were. We would mess with each other. We had the strongest friendship imaginable. I had missed him so much and it killed me to be away from him. I hadn't seen him in two years and may I say, he was kind of hot. I mentally smacked myself. No he is your best friend. you can't think that. He smiled and stood up, offering me his hand. I took it and stood up.

We sat and talked for what felt like hours just catching up with each other and laughing. Before I knew it, it was time for us to go to sleep. I said goodnight to Carl and went to my bed.