Oh how she wished she was huddled under the blankets of her bed with Jack’s arms wrapped around her body lovingly. Their eyes gazing into each other’s as their lips just barely touch. Iana would give anything to be back with Jack. She wanted her life to finally start for real where she and Jack would go to college and then marry someday.

  “Hey bitch, the boss is here to talk to you,” Gracie snarled, and the smile that somehow spread its way onto her face subconsciously disappeared.

  The whole time Gracie was bathing Iana she was muttering how the boss wanted her clean and presentable. During that time muttering Gracie probably didn’t realize she was digging her fingers in Iana’s skin as she washed her.

  The door opened and Gracie with the suited man came through. Gracie held the door open as another, older man entered the room. The two men looked very like and Iana assumed that this was the father.

  “Good evening, Iana. It’s very nice to finally meet you,” the older man said, his accent just as thick as his sons. “I am Barron.  Leader of the Incarnates.”

  “The Incarnates?” Iana asked.

  Barron smiled, and sat in the chair his son used hours ago. “Yes, The Incarnates is a private group that has soul who remember any of their past lives. It doesn’t matter which one, but there are only around three hundred of us in the whole world. If you try hard enough, you can remember too,” he chuckled. “Of course, you won’t be alive long enough to do that.”

  The sinister smile on his made Iana cringe and wither back into her seat. Her stomach clenched and her head throbbed at the idea of Barron, someone who looked like an average man, killing her. If she hadn’t already been shivering, one would’ve crawled it’s way all through her body.

  Iana’s muscles all seemed to relax at the same time, and her eyes grew heavy. She tried to speak, but couldn’t. It was coming, Iana knew it. She felt it too.

  “Pray tell,” Barron started, “why are you shaking uncontrollably. Why is your skin blue and your eyes drowsy?”

  Gathering all the strength she had before she succumbed to darkness, she whispered, “I’m dying,” and curled into the blackness.

  Jack froze, analyzing the unfamiliar feeling that held his body in its clutches. Tyler and Cindy looked at him weirdly, since they were walking across a parking lot and he just stopped.

  “Sweetie,” Cindy asked, “what’s wrong?”

  Understanding dawned on him when he felt pain deep in his heart. Jack fell to his knees, accidentally laying his bare hands on the pavement. Somewhere to the left a driving car swerved, and Jack ripped his hands away from the ground.

  He breathed deeply, hoping to not cry, to rid this feeling and wake up with Iana in his arms. He was still here though, and now he knew that Iana’s time was limited.

  “No,” he choked out to himself, “it’s not. I’ll find her.”

  “Jack,” Tyler warned, “tell us what’s wrong.”

  Turning his head, Jack shook his head, “we need to find her soon.”

  “What, why?” Tyler started to panic, and Cindy had to lay her hand on his arm to calm him.

  “Iana’s lucky that she’s held onto her life for two days, but she isn’t going to last long. She’s fading, Tyler,” Jack choked again, “I can feel her getting smaller and smaller.”

  “Dammit!”

  Both men started panicking, Jack crying and Tyler cursing.

  “Shut up you too!” Cindy yelled, fed up, “freaking out is not going to help us find Iana!”

  Silence followed her, and she smiled small at her victory. Turning to Jack, she addressed him, “you can find her, you have before. Just think of her.”

  Jack’s brows furrowed, “I didn’t think of her when I found her.”

  “Wait,” Cindy said confusedly, “what made you find her again?”

  Thinking for a minute, Jack remembered, “she sang! She was singing when I found her. It was her lullaby, the one she’s always humming!”

  “Chelsea’s?” Tyler asked, hope in his eyes.

  Jack nodded enthusiastically, and abruptly stood up, “all she has to do is sing it. I always know where she is when she sings that song, no other. So it has to be that one.”

-------------------

Barron, or the 'Dark One' is Al Pacino. Comment 'bout it...

Share it! Vote it! Love it!

- Lunalove673