Last Taping Day

December 16, 2016

Sungjae suspiciously eyed the We Got Married staff and crew, who seemed anxious to say something. He was already restless, waiting in front of the familiar black background they used for one-on-one interviews.

He cleared his throat before politely asking, "Jeogiyo, is there something you would like me to know?"

The PD sighed and replied, "Sungjae-yah, it's always hard for us to do this, but... I'm afraid this will be your last day as husband and wife."

As the PD's voice became softer towards the end, Sungjae's eyebrows twitched, feeling the uneasiness and, undoubtedly, pain, for hearing those words.

Silence ensued as Sungjae looked down for about three seconds, and as he looked up with misty eyes, his voice cracked when he said, "Have you told her yet?"

The PD shook his head.

"Don't tell her, please. I want her to enjoy our last day. I want her to feel like it's a normal shooting day." He pleaded. "Without the sadness I'm feeling right now... " He added in his thoughts.

~

"Yeobo!" She cheerfully greeted him as soon as she saw him waiting in front of their car.

He gave her the most natural and most sincere smile he could manage, as he put an arm around her. For a moment, he just stared at her, before actually letting her go and opening the door for the passenger seat.

He turned the music player on, knowing that the CD he gave her -- the one with all their memorable songs including Marry You -- was inside.

"Ah jinjja," she smiled as soon as she heard the melody. Before they knew it, they were both singing along with the track, holding hands, as Sungjae drove towards the place where they would say their farewells.

"Keundae yeobo, where are we going?" She asked.

"You'll find out soon enough." He faked a smile and flashed it towards her again. He doesn't know for how much longer he could bear the stabbing pain he's been feeling since the announcement.

After a few hours, he finally stopped the car. He opened the door for her and she asked, "Why are we here oppa?"

She took her to the place where they first met each other. But this time, it was Sungjae who prepared something. There were large gift boxes everywhere, just as how it used to be.

"I was thinking it would be a nice early Christmas present to go down our memory lane." Another lie. This would be the worst Christmas he could ever give her.

She smiled and excitingly hopped towards the nearest one she saw. She opened it and inside was the snake Joy has given him on their first day. It had a tag that said, "Appa, eomma, thanks for taking care of me all this time!!! Saranghae!"

The second one popped open with ballons that flew up to the sky as soon as she lifted up the lid.

Finally, the third one she opened concealed a laptop that started playing a video of their story for the past year. While she was watching, he came up to her and gave her a backhug, probably the one that longed for her the most. He fought back the tears that were threatening to fall.

"Yeobo, gomawo." She turned and gave him a tight embrace, which he returned wholeheartedly.

"Jamkkanman, yeobo, there's something else." He said as he took her hand and led her back to the car.

By the time they reached their next destination, the sun has already set. Sungjae took her to the beach side -- to the place where he first asked her to call him "yeobo". And where he felt bold enough to man up and initiate a kiss after a few months of being in the show. They got off the car and approached the water. He made her face him and held both his hands, as if trying to make time last longer.

Joy suddenly felt weird, and asked him again, "Oppa. What is this for really?"

This time he just looked down as he tightened his grip on her hands.

"This surely can't be a simple Christmas present keuchi?" Her heart thumped a bit faster when he looked up, and gave her a faint smile -- a smile that was filled with longing, sadness, and love.

"Yeobo," he started, "Did you enjoy today?"

"O-of course... I appreciate everything you did!" She tried to give a chuckle which came out to be awkward. "W-waeyo oppa..."

"It's a relief that I was able to make you happy today," he said as he pulled her closer and gave her a warm embrace, and continued, "for the last time..." He had to be strong. He tried not to sound shaky, tried not to let the tears fall. He felt the woman he has learned to love freeze for a moment before burying her face in his shoulder. The sobs followed...

"Joy-ah...soo young ah...yeobo..." He was silently sobbing as well. "I enjoyed every moment we spent together... You don't know how lucky I am to be paired with a girl like you." He pulled back and held her head, forcing her to look at him straight through his eyes. She was speechless, with tears continuously rushing down her cheeks. He smiled and wiped them, and gave her a sweet kiss on the forehead -- the sweetest he has ever given her.

"Oppa," she began. "I really don't know what to say right now... But... I'll surely miss all these... Us... And thank you. For all the memories we made together."

After one last hug, the cameras stopped rolling and suddenly, she just released herself from his grip and ran towards her van. She wanted to say a proper goodbye, but everything just happened so fast that she didn't know how to react.

Yes! Of course, she liked him. Of course, she has learned to love him after these months of being together! But does he feel the same way too? That's what she didn't know. Maybe it was the end for the both of them. They have to return to their original lives, as idols who have nothing to do with each other.

She was hugging her knees as she tried to calm herself down, when a soft knock made her look up.

Sungjae observed her for a moment, and she saw her sobbing relentlessly. His heart ached for her, longed for her... Wanted her back...

He lightly knocked and when she looked up, he waited for her to open the door. She did, but continued to look down, waiting for him to say something. She was sitting down on the back seat, with Sungjae standing by the open door.

"Yeobo--," he started but got cut off by her right away.

"Don't call me that, the show's ov--"

"I don't care! I want to!" He suddenly raised his voice a little, and she looked up to him once again.

"Are you really just gonna go like that? Without even giving me a proper farewell?" He asked her.

She broke away the eye contact before stuttering, "I-It's just going to make everything harder, oppa."

"So do you want to?" He hopefully asked.

"To what?"

"N-not say goodbye...?" He said as he took her hand and gave it a kiss.

"W-what do you mean?" She searched through his eyes, trying to find the words she wanted to hear.

"Yeobo, I don't want this to end. I don't want us to end. I know I'm not good expressing my feelings but here I am, taking up all my courage to say that I love you... I've always loved you. Sooyoung ah, will you please be mine for real?" He pleaded with misty eyes.

She struggled to get loose from his grip as she said, "S-stop. You're probably not thinking straight. Y-you--"

Sungjae suddenly leaned into the car, lovingly locked her head into his palms as he looked at her, before leaning in further to give her the kiss that confirmed everything.

When he pulled away, he said, "No. I'm thinking straight, and I know what I feel. So please, will you be mine?"

She looked at him, still shocked from what happened, and slowly nodded, with a smile slowly forming in her lips. She grabbed him into another tight hug, and said, "Yes. I will. I've always wanted to."