Chapter One//First Day

My head remains under my pillow while I hit my alarm for it to shut up. I've probably been hitting it for too long without it turning off because my mom walks in to ask if I'm okay.

"No, I'm not, mom." I lift my head and sit up. She turns my alarm off for me and sits at the end of my bed.

"Abby, it's okay." Mom places her hand on my leg.

It's not okay! I wanted to yell, but I'm great at controlling how I feel. I didn't yell, instead I sighed deeply and laid back down, dramatically putting my hand on my forehead. My best friend, Rachel, is moving to a different state, which means going to a new school.

Her parents got a divorce and Rachel decided that she wanted to go with her dad. She and her mom never got along well, so I had to respect Rachel's decision wether I liked it or not. So I had to start 8th grade without my best friend. Mom stands up.

"Oh what am I going to do with you?" She jokes. "Okay, get dressed. You don't want to be late for the first day of school!"
She throws me some clothes and I looked at them to make sure they're fine. My mom gets out of my room and I slip the clothes on. I grab my phone, then my backpack, and head downstairs.

I usually walk to school with Rachel, but since it's a ten minute walk and I'd be all alone, I asked my sister, Kira, for a ride. Once I'm there, I see a group of girls talking to each other.

"Abby!" One of them yells. I turn to see who it was. It was Penny, the most popular girl in school. Everyone likes her but secretly we all want to strangle her. Well, at least I do.

I stop and blankly look at her. "What?"

"Aw, poor Abby upset today because her best friend moved?" She makes a fake pouty face.

"Aw, are you still the same Penny who likes to get in everyone's business?" I roll my eyes and put my hands in my pockets to keep myself from beating her. Just the sight of her makes me wretch.

"Maybe," She giggles. "Guess what, Jacob Sartorius is coming to this school!" Penny starts jumping up and down, and is smiling widely.

"Who?" I wish the bell could ring so I can get over with the day.

Penny looks at me like I'm crazy, then she laughs. "You're kidding?" She continues laughing her evil laugh. She stops when she realizes I'm not. "He's famous on like, every Social Media app, duh." Penny flips her hair and takes out her phone. She goes on Vine then shows me some of his. "We're going to be the perfect couple. Then he'll post pictures of me and people will follow me. By the end of the year I'll maybe have more followers than him!" She turns her phone off and puts it in her purse.

"So you only want him to date you so you could be Internet Famous? What if it doesn't work."

Penny laughs again. "Everyone likes me."

"Oh, right. I forgot." I smile politely and walk away. Once she's behind me, I roll my eyes.