‘I would much prefer to hear the opinion of the designer,’ Louisa threw over her shoulder, as she discounted Natasha’s words.

‘I beg your pardon my lady,’ Natasha pursed her lips.  Please forgive my intrusion.  Good afternoon,’ Natasha removed herself from the table.

‘Er---my lady, I think I agree with Natasha,’ Crystal’s fumbling words echoed in the air, as Natasha walked up to her bed chamber to prepare a bath for herself.

Natasha was rubbing her hair with the towel, when she observed Crystal hovering at the door to their chamber. ‘The Lady Louisa has left?’ Natasha asked, not really interested in the response.

‘Yes---she would like me to make the gown with satin cloth,’ Crystal spoke nervously.

‘So you managed to convince her then?’

‘It was quite a task.  She insisted young maidens would look good with satin, and that she preferred velvet.’

‘She is very beautiful.  She would look good in satin.  Why does she think otherwise?’

‘She mentioned something about it not befitting someone of her age,’ Crystal answered half- heartedly.

‘Nonsense, anybody can look good in satin.’

‘So will you help me cut the pattern?’ Crystal pleaded.

‘What do they teach you at your design school Crystal?  How do you pass your tests?’

‘You might as well know, I have not passed the last two tests.’

‘But your mother mentioned how proud she was of your results the last time you came home?’

‘I lied to her,’ Crystal whispered, quickly looking away.

‘What?  So can you do any designing?  Do you know how to even cut a pattern?’  Natasha had not once seen Crystal cutting any material to design anything.

I can do some,’ she whispered, ‘but not as good as you.  How is it you are so good at it Natasha?  You have never been to school.’

‘Before father remarried, I used to spend a lot of time with the maids at the church.  I watched them.  Once I went to London with father,’ Natasha smiled.  ‘I saw the most beautiful gown I had ever laid eyes on.  I asked father for some money and bought a pencil and some sheets to draw the pattern.  Father said the pattern was very pretty and took me into the store and bought me some material, and asked me to make myself a dress just like the pattern I had drawn.  It took me two days, and no sleep on the first night,’ Natasha laughed, ‘then I showed father the dress, and he was so proud of me.’

‘I wish I could be like you Natasha.  You are good at everything.  Cooking, cleaning, caring for the duke.  You are like a mother to Ben.  Everybody likes you.’

Not Louisa.

‘I am so sorry for treating you badly.  You are such a good sister,’ Crystal sobbed.  Natasha wondered if this was an act to get her to make the gown for Louisa.

‘I am going to tell Lady Louisa the truth about everything and ask her to find another modiste to make her gown.  I am so sorry for demanding to use your glamorous gown as well.  It really was the most beautiful gown, I have seen.’ Crystal confessed.

‘Yes, it was beautiful,’ Natasha agreed softly, remembering Benedict’s fingers brushing over the soft---. 

Forget about Benedict.

‘I beg you to forgive me Natasha.  I will try to be a better sister to you and Ben.’

‘That is okay,’ Natasha opened her arms to offer Crystal a hug.