I was just nodding off when someone burst into my lab, running over to me and bouncing about energetically. "Donnie, Donnie, Donnie, Donnie, Donnie!" My youngest sibling yelled excitedly and I groaned with annoyance and fatigue. Though, all things considered, Mikey had amazingly not disturbed me once until now. That's a feat in and of itself. Leo and Raph must have been working hard to keep him entertained.

I blinked up at my little brother slowly, making no move to get up from my chair.

"Leo and I are gonna watch a movie! You wanna join us?!"

"Sure," I muttered, then rubbing my eyes tiredly I asked, "What time is it?"

Mikey canted his head to one side. "Uh, like six-ish I think. It's already dark topside."

I nodded sleepily, letting out an undignified yelp of protest as Michelangelo yanked me out of my chair and dragged me out the door.

I sat in the front room with Leo and Mikey, the three of us sitting side by side on the couch. I smiled slightly, thankful that Michelangelo and I were so close. Sure Mikey could be a thorn in my side sometimes, as well as one of the most annoying little brothers in all existence, but he was undoubtedly the best younger sibling I could ask for. If it weren't for Mikey, I don't think my life would be the same.

I certainly wouldn't be as close to Leonardo as I am.

Or Raphael. Though, I must admit that Raph and I have never had too much in common. He was always poking fun at me or looking down on me for being a genius. But, all things considered, Raph isn't a bad brother. In fact, I suppose he's quite a good brother. He knows when to leave me alone and when to give me a pep-talk. He knows not to pester me when I have a lot on my plate, but he also knows when to step in and force me to take a break. I smirked to myself. In all truth, Raph's the only one of my brothers who's even remotely successful at forcing me to take a break. Though, more often than not, I begin to wonder which of us really is the older. I can't even tell you how many times my immediate older brother had been injured, relying on me to save his life. And it terrifies me every single time.

Sometimes I feel like my role in this family is less than necessary. I mean, sure I fix anything that gets broken, I build things for them, but what does that amount to? I heal them when they're sick or injured, I help them when they're in trouble. But I'm not like Leo or Mikey. I'm not the oldest, I don't bear the responsibility of protecting the four of us. But I'm not the youngest either. I don't have a cheery disposition. I don't have the strength to hold my family together as Mikey does.

And Raph...Raphael and I...

Come to think of it, I guess we're much more alike than we seem. We both crave attention and a place in the family. Where I used my intelligence to gain that attention and incontrovertible role, Raphael did not. He has no real place...well unless one counts his reputation for being a troublemaker.

When it comes down to it, Leonardo was the leader, Michelangelo was the energy and spunk, I was the brains and Raph...

Raph. There had always been times where I'd thought about my position in the family. Times where I felt useless and unwanted, but I had never considered that perhaps, if the hurt I'd perceived in Raph's eyes earlier was any indication, that perhaps Raph felt the same way. I frowned. I was brought back to the present by the sound of my younger brother's voice.

"Whoa, Don! Earth to Don!" My brown eyes met Leo's slowly. "You okay?"

I nodded, but my frown deepened. "Yes, I was just...thinking about something."

Leo raised an eye-ridge.

"Where's Raphael?" I asked, realizing for the first time that the brother in question was nowhere to be seen. Leo's eyes narrowed in displeasure. And I glared back at him unabashedly. "You mean you still haven't forgiven him for earlier?" I asked warily.