1. New Friends

A/N: I'm so glad that you all are enjoying this story! Please remember to listen to the songs at the top--they are super important. You'll see why later :) Enjoy another chapter, lovelies!

Jade's POV

October 1st, 2006

"Freaking...stupid...come here." I grabbed my quill and let out a long huff, beginning to question why I even bothered expecting anything I owned to be kind to me. I set my quill down in the middle of my book and stared at it, long and hard. "Stay."

"No matter how much you yell at your quill, it's not going to listen." I glanced up to see Hermione Granger staring down at me, arms folded. "For starters, it has no ears."

"Or a conscience, apparently." I sighed as it rolled across my book, making a mad dash for the security of the grass. "The hell did I just tell you to do?"

"Did it listen?"

I glared up at her. "Are you just here to poke fun?"

Suddenly she looked a little glum, almost humbled. "No." She bit her lip and rocked back and forth on her heels, and I let out a little sigh.

"Why don't you summon up a little bit of that Gryffindor courage and tell me why you're here, then?"

She gave me a look. "Don't rush me, Princess."

I snorted. "I'm no princess. I just want to finish my homework."

Hermione took a seat next to me, wrapping her arms around her knees. "I guess I came over here because you looked a little lonely and I figured you could use a friend."

I swallowed the lump in my throat. That was the nicest thing anyone at Hogwarts had ever said to me; I was feeling guilty for being snippy with her at all. "That...That would be nice."

She gave me a little smile. "What are you working on?"

"Charms." I answered, returning one a little wider. "Are you good at charms?"

"I'm wonderful at charms." She dropped her arms and scooted closer. "What do you need help with?"

"All of it." I giggled. "I'm really, really, really bad."

She laughed and I couldn't help but grin.

Maybe Hogwarts wasn't so bad.

\•~•

Hermione and I ended up spending the afternoon together, swapping stories about our childhoods and how hard it was to adjust to the wizarding world.

"You'll have to come to America with me for a couple of weeks this summer." I shoved my now finished charms homework in my bag. "I'd love to show you around the island."

"And you'll have to come to Paris with me." She smiled. "I can't believe you've never been in any part of Europe before."

"Mom does good to make the rent on our little home sometimes." I frowned. "But it's really not so bad. I'm not usually one for travel."

"Did you get motion sickness on the train at all?"

"Yeah." I sighed. "I tried to sleep through most of it because of that." I stood and then helped her up. Throwing the strap of my messenger bag over my shoulder, I let out a breath I didn't know I'd been holding. "So, ready to go to dinner and freak a bunch of people out?"

She gave me a look.

"You know, a Gryffindor and a Slytherin walking in together?"

"We can't be ostracized any more, could we?" She smiled, finally getting it and holding out her arm. "Lets go."