Chapter 7 - Habits (Stay High)

[Sorry for my 3 year long hiatus lmao, hope you guys enjoy this, really wanted to revisit this story after finishing S6 a few weeks ago, xx]

After hours of laying around, searching for snacks in Danny's kitchen and a call to her mother, Shay decided to go to the party that random guy had invited her to. It was strange, but stranger things had happened back in Jersey. She hoped a night out with strangers would help her take her mind off of her father. Alcohol usually did have a pretty strong effect on her, if she wasn't careful.

As she looked through her clothes she received a text from Danny, saying, not surprising, he'd be out late working. She chose simple clothing, since she had no idea what the bar looked like. Black jeans, a green button-down tank, and her small black purse with that. She put on her normal face of makeup, with some extra color on her lips, and brushed through her hair.

The clock was only eight, and the guy, Rob was his name wasn't it?, had said ten. She was just going to put the TV on, when her stomach growled, and she decided to head out early.

-

The Honolulu night was warm and heavy. She was used to cold winds and rainy streets in New Jersey, not heat that didn't disappear with the sun. Cars went by in steady rows, as did people on the sidewalk. More than once could she feel a group of dudes watching her as she passed, but she paid them no glance. Spotting a McDonald's, she bought herself some nuggets and fries, and sat down outside, watching the people go by.

She realized she should probably look up the address of the bar she was supposed to visit, and pulled out her phone. After a few clicks, and some bites on the fries, an address near the beach showed up.

''Great.'' Shay muttered as she finished her food and glanced at the clock. She may be in Hawaii, but that didn't mean she wanted to spend every waking moment in the sand. A sudden flash of herself, Grace and Matt in the ocean a few days ago crossed her mind. She couldn't help but feel her heart sink at the memory.

-

''Well hello, I'm gonna be honest, I didn't think you'd show.''

Shay turned to the voice close to her in the loud bar. It was inside, thank the gods, which reminded her of the dark clubs at home. She wasn't 21, so legally she wasn't allowed to drink, but most places she went to let her and people her age in anyway, and this bar didn't seem to be any different.

It was the boy from the beach speaking to her. Rob.

''And why is that? I can't imagine anyone being able to resist that smile of yours. Not me anyway.'' she answered and looked at him as he took the seat next to her. He laughed and ordered a beer.

''How old are you?'' Shay then asked out of curiosity.

''I'm nineteen. You?''

''Seventeen.''

He laughed again. ''Yeah, no offense, but I didn't think you were 21. You can't go ratting about this place though, Keke would kill me. He keeps on telling me not to invite new people.''

Rob took a sip from his glass and smirked at her. Shay was close to rolling her eyes. Typical 'I get what I want' boy. New Jersey were full of them. The two teens kept on chatting for a while, ordering some stronger drinks as the music got louder and the place darker and more crowded.

''Wanna dance?'' Rob asked after Shay stopped laughing at his latest joke. Shay looked skeptically at the dance floor where boys and girls both older and close in age to them were pressed against each other. She looked at him, down at her drink and back at him again. His blue eyes were still clear, but started to hint towards a haze. Oh well.