Close Calls And Tutoring

(In high school)

Raymon's POV

I got into my Porsche and rested my head against the steering wheel.
Was it only my life that was filled with drama? Another day and another argument between mom and dad. Seemed like they fought every single damned day. This particular screaming match was due to the fact that my father had only just found out I had been attending Summerfield High. A school, that in his eyes, was low class and scummy.

It was his fault for being so busy in his own life and greed that he never stuck around long enough to have a decent conversation with me.

Forget it, I thought to myself. It isn't worth getting stressed up over.

I started up my beautiful car and rode the familiar route to school like I had been for two years. And two years before that when I had walked this way. I heard the usual gasps and movements of people slipping away to the side before I saw them, as they made way for me to park my car.

I obviously got the best spot since my father was such a known figure in this state and no one dared argue with me for fear of being reprimanded.

As if I would ever shout at someone. I had always been quiet, ever since I was a child. That quietness had followed up and left me a shy, almost timid guy, which worked fine with me since it was my last year in high school and I saw college as a place to start myself up again with a new look.

I opened the door of my car and stepped out, only to be thrown back against it by a little bundle of clothes and a massive rucksack. Aka my best friend. Kylie wrapped her arms tight around my waist and rested her head on my chest.

"I missed you Rayray!" She shouted into my chest.

I laughed and wrapped my arms around her waist. "Ky, you saw me just yesterday. And what have I told you about calling me that in public? It's such a weird nickname."

"I know I saw you yesterday but I missed you over the time period that I could not lay my eyes on you. And I will keep calling you that because it isn't weird it's fricking cute!" She pulled away from me finally and glanced up at me.

Kylie was tiny. And by that I really do mean tiny. She was 5'2 so compared to my 5'11 she was minuscule. I had known her all my life. My mother and hers used to be best friend in high school and maintained that friendship after all these years so me and Kylie saw a lot of each other whilst growing up. She was a great best friend. Granted, a little crazy but great overall. She was pretty too, with long auburn hair that reached down to her waist and big green eyes that always held a curious spark.

"Fine you can call me that but you have to promise to keep your voice down so others don't hear, promise?" I asked her, with a smile on my face.

"Promise!" She replied quickly and proceeded to take my hand and drag me into the school. For a tiny thing she sure had strength!

What the hell does she eat?

Kylie kept pulling me even after we had gotten into school and finally stopped this one sided tug of war after we reached her locker.

"Wow Kylie thank you for nearly taking my arm off!" I said as I leaned against the locker next to hers.

She opened her locker and pulled out some books, before returning to face me with a sickly sweet smile on her face. "No problem Rayray."

"Your mean to me, did you know that?" I told her as she closed her locker, pushing up the straps of her rucksack higher up her shoulders and began navigating her way through the masses that lined each side of the corridors. I followed her, easily keeping up with my long strides.

"Tough love bitch. It's all about the tough love. Oh and we have five minutes to get to first period - maths." She shuddered as she said the last words, visibly repulsed by the subject.

"Come on Kylie, Mrs Thomson isn't that bad." I said as we neared our class. People were crowded around near the door, looking into the classroom and whispering.

"Looks like we have a cover teacher!"

"Finally, seemed like dinosaur Thomson would never take a sick day!"

As we reached the door, Kylie hearing these whispers, cheered up immensely. "We can sit next to each other now since I plan on making the seating arrangements disappear mysteriously." She handed me her books quickly, so she could rub her hands together, looking like an evil mastermind.

My eyes widened slightly. I am very glad I am friends with Kylie since only god knows what she is capable of.

The bell rang, signalling for us all to make our ways to our classrooms, and as we entered our Maths room, Kylie shooed me away and motioned for me to sit down with the books as she searched for the seating plans. I took a seat at the back, right next to the window so as to feel the comforting summer breeze.

Since our cover teacher was busy looking for something on her desk, Kylie succeeded in her evil plan and took a seat next to mine near the window. She looked at me and winked, holding up the now shredded seating plan.

Your evil. I mouthed to her, shaking my head.

She threw back her head and mimed maniacal laughter. I laughed at her weirdness and smiled. I was happy to have her in my life. She seemed to be the only person I could be myself around.

"Right class, I am Miss Simms and I will be taking your class today as your teacher has unfortunately fallen ill. As I say your name could you please raise your hand so I can match faces to names in order to familiarise myself with you."

She called out the several names of the people on our class, who in turn raised their hands so Miss Simms could acknowledge their presence.

"Mr Trey Jordan?" Mrs Simms called out, only to be received with silence.

"Mr Jordan?" She called again.

"Present in all my glory, Miss!" Came a voice from the doorway. There he stood, Trey Jordan, son of my dad's enemy. He ran his hand through his perfectly styled hair and fixed his devilish face with a smirk. He was beautiful. There was no denying that with his black hair (styled of course to perfection) contrasting with his pale skin to give the look of a rockstar. Like father like son, I scoffed. His eyes were a unique shade of grey, that were always lit up with mischievousness. He had chiselled features with a strong jaw line and soft lips. His bottom lip slightly fuller than the top.

He obviously worked out as it was obvious from the red shirt he wore that tended to stick to him like a second skin. (But hey who's complaining ;) ).

He wore blue jeans that rode low on his hips and white Nike trainers. He may be good looking, scratch that, he might be the hottest guy to have ever walked the planet but that didn't change the fact I hated him.

He walked into the classroom, carrying an air of grace and power as he made his way to the back and sat on the seat just next to Kylie.

"Mr Jordan, would you like to explain why your late?" Asked Miss Simms, glancing at Trey.

"No thanks but do you want me to explain to you who my dad is?" He replied with a cheeky smirk on his face.

Mrs Simms widened her eyes and glanced down at her register, putting two and two together. She turned her back to the class as she grabbed some papers from the desk and handed them to a girl on the front row.

"Hand these out as I continue with the register."

"Miss Kylie Summers?" Kylie raised her hand and replied, "Here."

"Mr Seth Romani?" I raised my hand, aware of the many eyes on me, especially aware of a set of grey eyes that burned holes into the side of my face. "Here." It came out shakily but I was relieved when 27 sets of eyes turned back to the front.

"Melissa has just handed out a sheet of algebra questions and I would like you to get on with them for the remainder of our lesson. Any questions then just raise your hand and I will come to you." She explained as she sat in her chair.

I glanced down at the sheet and smiled. I loved algebra. I loved maths in general. It came so easy to me. I reached into my bag for a pen and quickly answered all the questions. I glanced to my right and saw that Kylie was struggling as she had her pen in her mouth and was biting the hell out of it. I slid my sheet in her direction and allowed her to copy but I would explain it all to her once we got home anyway since she was coming over to mine tonight and that made me feel better about letting her copy.

After she had finished her sheet, she thanked me and smiled as she pulled out her phone from her bag and proceeded to text and search the web regardless of the fact we were in a school.

Kylie is crazy I thought to myself. But she doesn't need maths in order to be an artist. That's all she has ever wanted to do. Just paint and draw for ever and ever so she was content with not paying attention much in class unless it was art.

I glanced out the window to the school yards and closed my eyes, letting the breeze cool me from the heat in the classroom. Miss Simms happened to see me looking out the window and walked up to our desk. Kylie hastily put away her phone and nudged me. I opened my eyes as she approached us and sat up straighter.

"Mr Romani and Ms Summers it looks like you have finished." She glanced over our work and smiled since we has gotten them all correct. Well I had. Such a nerd me. "Ms Summers I would like you to complete an extension and Mr Romani would you also do the same and I would like to speak to you after class." She looked over at Trey. "You too Mr Jordan."

She went back to her desk and I competed the extension, again letting Kylie copy and soon the bell rang signalling the end of maths. Kylie turned to me.

"I'll be waiting outside okay?"

"Okay hopefully she will be quick. I don't want to be late."

Kylie shook her head and muttered "nerd" to herself before walking out of the classroom. I made my way with my bag to the front of the room and could hear Trey doing the same thing.

"Mr Romani, as you are acing Maths judging from previous grades, I would like you to tutor Mr Jordan as he is well below his potential grade. Is that okay?"

Trey stayed quiet, staring at his shoes as if they suddenly fascinated him. Probably embarrassed, I guessed, as I saw a tint of red on his cheeks. What was I supposed to say?

"Yes it would be absolutely fine since it'a not like our parents hate each other and haven't been feuding since before we were born and not to mention we hate each others guts, oh wait it is like that!"

I sighed to myself quietly and looked at Miss Simms. "Yes Miss, it's okay."
Trey snapped his head up and looked at me. Yes I know. What the hell am I even doing? But I didn't want to fail Miss Simms when she had asked so nicely for me to do something.

"Thank you Seth. How about you Trey? Can you make a commitment to achieve a better grade with the help of Seth here?" Trey merely nodded as a response and went back to looking at his shoes.

"You may go now but I will keep checking on you Trey, to see if your making any progress."

We walked out the classroom and didn't say a word to each other, probably out of shock as to what we had just agreed to.

Kylie grabbed my arm and started running and I ran behind her as we rushed to get to art.

"What happened?" She asked as we slowed to a jog as we neared our room.

I shook my head, signalling I would tell her all later. We walked into art and explained why we were late and since we had Mr Branson, the coolest teacher in this school, he let us of and told us to take our seats. We sat down, again next to each other, and pulled out all the utensils needed for this subject. It wasn't until the shock cleared from maths that I fully realised the consequences of mine and Trey's agreement to Miss Simms.

I rested my head on the desk as Mr Branson did the register. What have I just agreed to?