Apparently We Run

Beginne am Anfang

"Fudgesicle!" I yell, causing Brody to burst out laughing. He drops to the ground, howling with laughter actually. I roll my eyes. "Ha ha. That was hilarious. I'm dying over here," I say sarcastically.

"I'm taking this for sure," says Brody as he recovers. I smirk and shake my head.

"You are messed up," I tell him.

"So are you!" He exclaims. I flinch internally but chuckle out loud nonetheless. I'm well aware of that particular fact. I'm mean I never left that stupid foster house, of course I'm messed up. I grab a pack beef jerky and some baseball cards. I shove both things into the pocket  of my sweatshirt and flip up my hood.

"You ready?" I ask Brody. He copies my movements and the two of us leave the aisle. Cameron and Dominic push off of the soda shelf they were leaning against and fall in step with us. We round the last corner and Cody and Spencer stand up from where they were sitting and flirting with the clerks. Cutting off the conversation where it was. Bad move. The male clerk closest to the door catches on.

"Hey gentleman," he starts, but we don't give him a chance to finish. Instead we take off sprinting at full speed out of there. I can hear his voice yelling stop as it fades into the background we round the corner and run past the courthouse. Then Dominic goes down to the ground and I hear a girlish squeal. We all stop and circle around the two people on the ground, one of which happens to be Dominic and the other is a girl in a pink sundress, with blond hair and baby blues. I suck in my breath and stare at her. I know her, the image is blurry but I've seen her before. She sits up and shakes her head back and forth, before rubbing her eyes with her fists. Then she attempts to smooth down her hair with her fingers, even though she fails epically. I smile slightly at her adorableness. Then her eyes meet mine and they widen with recognition. My smile vanishes instantly. She got arrested. She got arrested because we left our crap next to her. Dominic stands up and offers her a hand. She smiles brightly at him.

"Thank you!" she chirps.

"No problem, pretty thing," replies Dominic. She blushes profusely and looks at the ground. Then her head whips up suddenly and she glances at me before looking at Dominic again. She slowly looks over her shoulder and then whips her head back around. Then she slyly steps over next to Dominic and drapes herself over him. Wrapping her petite, little arms around his well-toned one.

"Uh...can I help you?" he asks.

"I need to talk to you, all of you. But not here. My lawyer and adoptive mother are watching. If anyone one asks you guys are my friends from school, well more like aquatints. You stopped the guy from hitting me. All you need to know is the guy had dark hair and dark, green eyes with semi-pale skin. And he doesn't exist. Play by that story so our accounts match up. I know you probably don't remember anything from that party, but please just trust me. If you don't want to get caught trust me," she says quietly. I step closer to her.

"You're a complete stranger to us, why should we trust you?" asks Cameron.

"My name is Kayla. We are no longer strangers," she replies. Kayla. Oh god, Kayla, I know that name. Those baby blues from the foster house may have just found their place.

"Names don't make us know you," supplies Cody. She glares at him, and I swear you could feel the daggers cutting through the air on their way to Cody's chest.

"Fine, play it that way. But I can tell you one thing I know for sure. Those drugs and that booze, did not belong to me like the authorities think right now, it belongs to you guys," she replies. Next to me Spencer shifts uncomfortably.