Third of March.

March 3, 2016 (Music: Aqualung's Brighter than Sunshine)

I never understood before.
I never knew what love was for.
My heart was broke, my head was sore -
What a feeling.

Maine was in the middle of a shoot when the clock struck 12. She was alone in her tent, when her loudly ringing phone cut the icy silence in the room. 

It was RJ.

"Hey," she sleepily answered.

"Nakalimutan mo, ano?"

"Ang alin?" she muttered, confused.

"Grabe siya. Birthday mo, uy! Ayan kasi, masyado mong sinasagad ang sarili mo, kahit mismong birthday mo, nakakalimutan mo," he chastised her.

"But.."

RJ interrupted her before she could finish. "I'll pick you up. No ifs, no buts. Be there in a few."

She scowled at her phone as she heard him hang up. This guy. He knows I hate being lectured on, she thought as her lips formed a pout. 

Tied up in ancient history,
I didn't believe in destiny.
I look up, you're standing next to me -
What a feeling.

True to his word, RJ arrived a couple of minutes later.

He was a breath of fresh air on a warm summery night. He never failed to take her breath away— every time she saw him felt like the first, heart beating wildly, her emotions struggling to leap out of her chest. 

"You're here."

He swept her off her feet— literally and figuratively. "Kailan ba ako nawala sa isip mo?," he joked. His bedimpled cheek was hard to resist.

Maine wanted to punch him... with kisses, that is. But she tried— no, resisted, as there were a lot of people in the production area. She responded in a way she was familiar with. She made a funny face.

"Ayan ka na naman. Alam mo namang all your 252 facial expressions look beautiful to me. Di mo na kailangan magpa-cute pa. Anyway, let's go?"

"Wait, what? We're not done yet," she tried to explain.

"Don't worry, I spoke with the director. Everything was a ruse so you wouldn't leave hangga't hindi pa tapos ang shoot ko. Now that I'm here, we're free to go," he smiled at his brilliantly executed plan.

"Paano sina Ate Pat?", she worriedly asked.

"Don't worry, I've taken care of everything. Just change into more comfortable clothes."

What a feeling in my soul -
Love burns brighter than sunshine,
Brighter than sunshine.
Let the rain fall, I don't care.
I'm yours, and suddenly you're mine.
Suddenly, you're mine;
And it's brighter than sunshine.

"God, you're beautiful," RJ couldn't help but blurt it out loud. He never gets tired seeing her like this, all dressed down, with her hair pulled back into a tight ponytail. The sight of her was enough to make his heart beat faster and slower... all at the same time. She was everything he ever wanted and so much more.

I never saw it happening.
I'd given up and given in.
I just couldn't take the hurt again -
What a feeling.

"Tigilan mo ako sa mga panloloko mo, RJ ha. Alam mo namang ayokong nakakarinig ng mga ganyan," she blushed.

"Asan na ba ta— I know this place!" Maine exclaimed.

I didn't have the strength to fight.
Suddenly, you seemed so right.
Me and you -
What a feeling.

His van stopped in front of Unilab Bayanihan in Mandaluyong. 

"I read in your blog that you wanted to hold your debut here but it was booked on your birthday month, kaya naisipan kong dito ka dalhin," he sheepishly whispered, his ears slowly turning red. 

Maine tried to hold back her tears, but she couldn't stop them from falling.
"RJ... grabe naman dito, ang daming alikabok," she cooed as she punched his arm.

"Halika, Meng," as he led her to the center of the beautifully arranged room, meant only for the two of them. He took her hand and led her to a slow waltz.

"I wish I had met you sooner. Eh di sana, ako yung kasayaw mo sa debut mo. Let me make up all the birthdays I didn't get to spend with you." he whispered in her ear as he handed her the roses, one by one, all twenty of them. 

What a feeling in my soul -
Love burns brighter than sunshine.
It's brighter than sunshine.
Let the rain fall, I don't care.

"I wouldn't dare change a thing, RJ. If it means being able to hold you like this, I wouldn't. This— you— are perfect. I could never ask for more," she said through her tears. 

"Meng, I.." he started.

She pulled him closer, her lips slowly touching his. 

I'm yours,
and suddenly you're mine.
Suddenly, you're mine.

It was their first kiss and it was enough to make her forget twenty years of her life.