One

"I'm going over to Jayda's!" Shania called up the stairs to her mom

Her mom came down the stairs and looked at her daughter angrily. "Where are you really going? To see Chresanto?"

"What are you talking about mom?"

Her mom shook her head and crossed her arms. "You're not going anywhere, miss thang."

What the fuck? Shania thought. "Miss thang? Why are you calling me that, and what did I do?"

"You're still talking to Chresanto aren't you?"

"Yes. I do still talk to him. I just don't see him." She said with nothing but attitude in her voice.

"We told you not to see him anymore. You are to go to work and save up money for school."

"I don't see him!" She lied.

Coincidentally, Shania's father walked into the house after his long day at work. He heard the yelling from outside and needed to know what was going on. "What's going on?"

"She's seeing him again even though we told her not to." Her mom relayed.

"What the fuck!?" Shania shouted. "You're not even listening to me!"

Shania's mom looked at her in shock. Disbelief almost. "I know this child did not just.. Did she just?" She looked at her husband. "Anthony did she just..?" He gave her a look of confirmation. "Don't think you're old enough to escape a ass whoopin' cause I'm gettin' ready to tap that ass in a minute."

Shania shoved past her mom and went upstairs to her room. She went through her drawers throwing stuff into her purse. She grabbed clothes and some essential stuff. She was fed up. All her parents did was nag at her. They nagged about everything, all day, everyday. She was always trying to get out of the house, whenever she was home, because of it. Her phone started vibrating in her back pocket. She looked to see a text from Chresanto saying that he was outside. "Good I'm packing my shit, hold on." She texted back. He looked at her text a little confused. He knew he'd have a story to hear when she got in the car.

"They got me too fucked up." Shania said throwing the last of her clothes into her old cheer duffle bag. She started throwing her shoes into it after that. Her parents barged into her room to see her duffle bag in the middle of the floor with stuff in it.

"And where exactly are you going?" Her father asked. She didn't answer. She just kept walking back and forth throwing shoes and belts into the bag. "I asked you a question Shania. Where are you going?" She was crouched down zipping the bag up.

"Away from y'all." She answered throwing the strap on her shoulder and grabbing her purse and shoving past them again. She quickly went down the steps and to the front door.

"Oh no. You're not going anywhere little girl." Her dad said following behind her.

She rolled her eyes. "Ha!" She opened the door and walked through the grass to Chresanto's car. He didn't get out of the car knowing it'd only make things worse. Her parents followed all the way to the car trying to pull her stuff back into the house but there was no way Shania was goi g to let them do that. She threw her bags in the backseat and quickly got in the front seat.

"Drive." She told Chresanto while putting her seatbelt on. He abided her request and put the car in drive and they were on their way down the street. Shania sat in silence looking out the window as they drove.

"You good ma?" Chresanto asked.

She looked over at him and smiled. "Yeah, I'm fine." She responded while reaching into the backseat for her phone in her purse. She grabbed her phone and texted Jayda what happened. "I'm so tired of my parents. I tell my mom I'm going to Jayda's and she starts asking where I'm really going."

"That is where you're going though?" Chresanto said confused.

"Not anymore.. My parents are gonna go there looking for me."

"My place then?" He asked.

"Mhm.." She hummed. "Ugh, I'm so over today already like today is really the shittiest day ever."

Chresanto chuckled. "I can make it better for you."

She looked at him and smiled. "How?"

"It's a surprise." He said giving her a warm smile back.

-

"Are you sure?" JJ asked.

Jayda paced the floor a bit while holding her phone to her ear. "Uhm.. Not 100% but I'm just scared."

"It'll be aight either way. Just chill out bae."

"But what if-"

"Don't worry bout that ma. We'll be aight." JJ interrupted her. "Ima hit you later though, I gotta do a couple pick ups right quick."

She sighed. "Okay."

"Aye. Chill out."

"Okay, okay. I'm cool. I'll talk to you later." She said then hung up the phone and threw it on her bed. As she watched her phone hit the bed she felt herself getting dizzy. She sat down slowly in hopes of stopping the motion in her head. "I need to call Shania.. She should've been here."

Jayda gave herself a few minutes so maybe the dizziness would die down. Just as she scrolled through her call log to find Shania's number the doorbell rang. Thinking it was Shania, Jayda went to the door. Instead of seeing Shania there ready to come inside, she saw Shania's parents. Her parents had a look of worry on their faces.

Jayda put her hand on her head and immediately thought the worst. "What happened? Where is she?"

"She didn't come here? She said she was coming here. She lied to us.." Shania's mom spoke with a hint of anger in her voice.

"Well she was coming here. I don't know what happened. Last time I spoke to her she said she was on her way and that Chres was going to drop her off."

"How long ago was that?" Shania's dad asked.

Jayda looked at her phone. "Like 30 minutes, maybe an hour ago."

"That boy is probably manipulating her right now. I thought he was actually a good guy until I found out about some of what he does." He shook his head. "Can't believe she ran off with him."

Jayda stood there still confused and slightly dizzy. All she knew was she needed to talk to her best friend.