Chapter Six: The Way Life Is

Her birthday's come and go, uncelebrated. No cake, presents, or friends to share the time with. Not even as much as a 'Happy Birthday' is uttered from her father's lips. Those days are spent, doing the same thing as all the previous days before...training, studying, and learning.

She'll never know the difference.

It's true. She will never know what life is really supposed to be like. She will grow up to believe that everything she has experienced and learned is the way life is. It's all she knows. She doesn't watch cartoons or play with toys. She knows what cartoons are, but Harrison won't allow them. He says they are stupid and a waste of time. They would interfere with his daughters training.

Harrison is at the kitchen table, tapping his finger on a large medical book.

"It's time to learn!" Harrison yells for his daughter.

She comes from her room, a blank expression on her face. At two years old, most children her age are always happy; they don't know any different. This little girl has yet to experience happiness.

"Sit down!" Harrison snaps at her.

The little girl does as she is told; she knows better than to disobey this man. She has learned the ways of her father quickly, the hard way.

Harrison opens the medical book to the section labeled: Human Anatomy. A diagram of the human body shows where all the major organs and main arteries are located. He begins to quiz her,

"Where is the liver?"

This isn't her first time seeing this book. Harrison has repeatedly gone over this with her. She quickly points to the liver.

"Where is the pancreas?"

She points, just below and slightly right of the liver.

"Where is the spleen?"

She points to the spleen, partially hidden behind the stomach.

Harrison decides to try and trip her up.

"Show me the largest artery in the human body."

He can't fool her. She points to the aorta.

"And if you want to kill someone quickly, where would you cut them?" A question he has asked a few times before.

The little girl points to the neck area, and attempts to say, "Jug-lar"

Harrison cracks a smile, "That's right, the jugular."

Harrison notices he has been smiling at her more often. With each new sign of progress, he becomes more and more proud. Each day, she surprises him with something new. He is growing quite fond of her, though he limits the amount in which he shows it.

In addition to the human anatomy lesson, Harrison introduces the child to the world of forensics. She learns about crime scenes and how police examine and search the area for clues left by the perpetrator. She also learns how the authorities take evidence that is left behind and use it to catch people. He teaches her about fingerprints and DNA.

"Can you say deoxyribonucleic acid?"

"Deox, ren-clic..."

Harrison laughs, "Try, DNA."

"D-N-A."

These lessons are important to her training. She must understand how to carefully clean up after herself; to leave no evidence.

He looks at her. "I think I'm going to get you a cat."

The little girl just looks at him, she doesn't seem to understand.