16) Executing Said Plan

Start from the beginning

"Not to bad yourself, Evans," James said, smiling back. 

"Flirt later. Walk now," Peter said, walking in front of us. "The station is about a mile away. It will probably take us about 20 minutes to get there, if we hurry. That's only as much time Marlene and Remus can give us." 

Of course as soon as we got outside, it was raining. Peter and I put our cloak hoods up, but James 'I'm-so-smart' Potter decided it would be easier to run without a cloak and left his in the dormitory. "Take this, Potter," I grumbled, offering him my  sweatshirt from my book bag to shield himself. 

"Wow, Evans. If I didn't know any better, I'd think your were being nice to me!" James commented. 

"Well, I don't want to be stuck with a whiny Potter all night, now would I?" I retorted. "Just shut up and take the sweatshirt." 

He did as I told him. "You have the phone in that bag of yours?" He asked. 

"Of course I've got the phone!" I said. We got stuck with Suzy Clearwater's flip phone while Marlene and Remus got Alice's Iphone. Marlene's reasoning was that they were more likely to die, therefore they should have the better phone. We'd exchanged phone numbers and decided against prank calling Suzy's boyfriend before arriving at dinner. From the test calls we exchanged in our dorm room, they seemed to work just fine. 

"Just checking," James chuckled. "Are  we there yet?" He asked Peter. 

"Not even close,"  Peter grumbled, nearly tripping over a rock sticking out of the stone road. "This is going to be a long night." I couldn't agree more. 

--

"Finally!" James shouted as we entered the train station. 

"Shhh, Potter!" I hissed. "Someone could hear you!" 

"Oh, who's going to hear me, Evans? We're at the Hogwarts express in the middle of the school year. No one's been here for months!" He was right. The train sat stationary, a few birds nesting in the windows. "What do you think, should be go in?" He asked. 

I pulled out the cell phone and waved it around. "Yeah, maybe we'll have better reception in there." 

"Don't know what that means, but okay!" James said merrily. "See an open door anywhere, Petey-boy?" He asked. 

Peter looked around. "Over here, I think. It's the luggage compartment, but if we can get in there, we can take the doors to the other compartments." We followed him into a dark compartment that was covered with spider webs and unclaimed bags. "No one use magic. We're outside Hogwarts, so the ministry could track us." 

"Shit," James cursed. "I can't see a thing!" 

"Come on," I said, finding my way to the door to the next car. I pulled the lever, unlocking the door and pulling it open. There was about a foot of gap before the next car. I pulled the lever opening that one and stepped in. "Mind the gap!" I called back to the boys. This car wasn't any better than the last one. It was almost entirely empty, less spiderwebs than the last. 

We continued to move forward until we found the first car with seats. "Well, this looks nice," I commented, sitting down at one of the compartments. 

"It's bloody freezing in here!" James said, sliding into the seat across from me and rubbing his hands together. 

Peter looked ahead. "I'm going ahead to the front of the train to see if I can figure out how to turn the heat on. It's only a two or three cars up. I bet I'll hear you if you yell loud enough."

"How are you going to figure out how to turn the heat on?" I asked, squinting at him. 

He shrugged. "I dunno. I think I'm smart enough to sport a furnace or something."