Chapter Twenty-Six

Start from the beginning

"We'd best get going back to our own rooms before anyone else wakes up. Then, we can both get some more rest in our much more comfortable beds."

Elizabeth couldn't have thought of a better idea herself. The two headed out of the chapel and quickly, but quietly made their way upstairs. They passed by a few servants, but most of them kept their heads down and pretended that the two didn't exist. 

The pair stopped outside of Elizabeth's door, and stood there quietly for a few moments while looking at each other awkwardly.

"Well, goodnight, then, Your Grace. Or, should I say good morning instead?" She paused and thought about it, then shook her head to dismiss the thought. "It was an honor sleeping on you," she whispered with a grin, her cheeks turning red at her choice of words.

Henry smiled and ran a hand through his hair.

"Good morning, Lady Elizabeth. It was an honor to have you sleep on me. Well, once I ignored the snoring and the drooling, that is."

Elizabeth's eyes grew wide, and she immediately had the strong urge to disappear in her room and never come out again. She felt her cheeks grow hot as the blush crept up her face, and Henry immediately began to laugh.

"I'm only joking, Liz. Now, go, before I fall asleep while standing."

Elizabeth glared at him playfully, then turned towards her door, her hand on the handle. She turned around as if to say something, but didn't have anything more to say. Henry leaned forward and kissed her on the cheek, his hair tickling her face as he did so. Now, she as even more at a loss for words.

"Good morning," he said again with a hasty bow.

"Good morning," she replied with a quick curtsy. 

He quickly walked a few doors down to his own room, and Elizabeth opened the door to hers. Before she stepped inside, she looked to her right to look at Henry, only to see him standing right outside of his room, looking at Elizabeth. The two grinned, then nodded towards each other and disappeared into their own rooms.

Elizabeth climbed into her bed and pulled the curtains around her, leaving her in complete darkness. She let out a deep sigh and stared up at where the top of the canopy on her bed would be, then raised a hand up to her cheek, where Henry's lips had been moments before. Her cheeks grew red again, and she couldn't help but smile while she felt as though butterflies were in her stomach, their wings batting against her insides.

She closed her eyes to try and get a few more hours of sleep before Jane came to wake her up, then came to a sudden realization.

She hadn't had any nightmares the night before.

~*~*~*~*~

Hours later, Elizabeth was sleeping peacefully until a knock at the door awakened her. Her eyes shot open and she turned her body to face the door, but her bed curtains blocked the view. She groaned and sat up in bed, ready to go and answer the door, but Jane, her maid, called out to her.

"I'll answer the door, my lady."

Elizabeth flopped back onto the mattress and stared up at the canopy and stretched, her back cracking in a satisfying way in the process. She let out a content sigh and thought back to the morning, when Henry had kissed her cheek. Just like they had hours before, her cheeks flushed red once more and a smile graced her face again, just as Jane opened the bed curtains.

The maid looked at her suspiciously, her eyes narrowed.

"What's got you smiling like a fool?"

Elizabeth frowned at her, which caused Jane to smile in return as she handed a letter to Elizabeth.