Chapter 7

We pulled down the long, winding road that lead to Sam and Andy's and I couldn't hide my excitement to see Andy. Chris and Brandon were laughing at me while I was driving down the road cautiously, but as fast as possible.

"Dude, you're going to wreck us before we get there!" Brandon exclaimed, "You're driving skills need work!"

"Very funny," I rolled my eyes, "Have I killed you yet? No! Therefore I'm sure you'll be safe for another few miles!"

"Where has this attitude come from?" Brandon asked, but I refused to answer.

"He's always got this way about a girl. Not necessarily any specific girl, but the second he's got his eyes set on one here comes an attitude and crazy ideas," Chris explained without hesitation.

"Crazy ideas? Like the why we're driving from Kernersville, North Carolina to Lexington, Virginia on a whim?" Brandon questioned from the back seat of my Explorer as I hit a bump in the road and Chris almost lost his cup of coffee.

"Spill that in my truck and you will pay to have it detailed!" I scolded him like he was a child.

"Umm, who's the older one here? Last time I checked I was four minutes older than you!" Chris retorted quickly.

"What does that have to do with the price of eggs in China?" I responded with my five millionth smart as comment, "It's my vehicle and I like to keep it clean!"

"Just drive already," Brandon said, "Sam said it was a two story yellow house on the right. Kelly's white Jeep will be in the driveway."

"That's it up there!" I exclaimed full of excitement.

I pulled into the driveway behind Kelly's Jeep and parked. I leaped out with a bound hoping that Andy had decided to come home. I looked up and saw Kelly and Sam standing in the bay window. In that moment I knew she wasn't here. The pep that I had in my step two seconds ago was gone. Chris and Brandon slowly got out and we walked to the door. They greeted us with somber smiles.

"Hey!" Sam said trying to hide her worry, "I'm so glad ya'll came up."

"She's not home is she?" I asked them, but they didn't need to even answer. I knew.

"Where is she?" Chris asked with concern.

"Jake stopped by earlier and said she left a note with their mom that she was going out on the farm for a while. When I talked to her mom a little bit ago she still hadn't come back."

"Shouldn't someone go look for her?" I asked.

"Yeah, but we're trying to figure out the best person to do that," Kelly said, "That's what we were talking about when you pulled up."

"Well, what do you think?" Brandon asked.

"At first we thought Jake would be the best person to go find her, but she hates when Jake sticks his nose into her business," Sam explained, "That's when we realized Cory would be the best person to do it."

"Me? Why me?" I asked in shock.

"Because for God knows what reason she needs to talk to someone and you're the only person we can come up with that she will talk to," Kelly explained, "For some reason she won't talk to anyone else. So you're going to find her. We've already got the four-wheeler gassed up and ready to go."

"I'm not being given a choice about this am I?" I asked curiously.

"Not at all. Someone has to go get her and you're the only one who she will talk to that will get her out of this funk," Sam enlightened me.