Your eyes widened at the note in your hands. Your parents were sending you to a new school? Without even telling you? You put the letter back down on the kitchen table where you found it. Your parent(s) weren't home right now, but when they got back, oh were they ever in for an interrogation. You decided that you should do some investigation on your mysterious new school by checking the school website. At least then you could make a small judgment to if your new school was going to be as great as the note suggested.
You quickly ran to your room, pulling out your device and typing the website URL into the search engine. A page with an all black background popped up, and large white letters in a sophisticated font read, 'Silver Wood Academy- Teaching more than just the standard subjects'. You raised an eyebrow and scrolled down, only to see pictures of happy looking graduates, how to enrol a student, and a short description of what the school was like.
Here at Silver Wood boarding school, we teach our students more than just basic necessities for adult life. Our staff teaches them life lessons, such as the importance of obedience, and how to be essential in the adult world. Students here never go out of line, because we are determined to make sure that they enjoy learning right from wrong.
A boarding school? You had only read one paragraph of the description and it already seemed like at this school if you miss behaved the teachers would shoot you. Why were your parents sending you here anyways? From your perspective, you weren't a bad kid. You never tried to sass your parents, you listened to what they told you, your grades were satisfactory, and you were happy at the school you were currently at. It didn't seem sensible to suddenly move you from a place where you were doing well. You were actually looking forward to starting the year off as a sophomore at your school. You let out a disappointed sigh as you skimmed over the rest of the description, scrolling down to the bottom of the website.
There were four links; registration, meet the staff, uniforms and dress code, and back to the top. You clicked on 'meet the staff' since that was the only one that seemed to interest you at this moment. You drummed your fingers on the side of your thigh as you waited for the page to load.
Outside of your room, you heard the front door click- someone was home. Since the website didn't want to co-operate, you quickly turned your device off, and rested it gently on your bed. You called for your parent, wanting to collect more information about the school they had put you in.
"You're sending me to a boarding school?" You asked bitterly. An instant look of guilt appeared on your parent's face.
"Ah...well...I was going to tell you but...I was waiting for the right opportunity,"
You know they meant well, and they only wanted the best for you, but you were so displeased with the movement, as there was only one week left until school started again. That was not enough time to prepare you for the cold fact that you were going to have to leave everything you were familiar with behind. What were you going to tell your friends?
"You could have told me sooner!" You exclaimed. You made sure to keep your tone consistent. Any louder and they would pack you on a jet to Tim-Buck-Two for sure. You at least wanted a chance to beg for the right to stay at your current school.
"I'm already used to this school. I'm starting my second year of high school. I already have friends, plans- I just don't want to leave!!" You said.
Your guardian crossed their arms, frowning. "But honey, I already registered you...! I thought it would be a good opportunity for you to learn more!!" They sighed. "I was talking to our neighbour, and he said that he put his kids into this school, and look at how they turned out!"
The neighbour's kids were rich, accomplished, over-achievers that liked to rub their success in people's faces. You never understood your parents' unhealthy obsession with trying to make you look better than them, but one thing you knew for sure is that you did not want to turn into snobs like them.
"The neighbour's kids are rich assholes..." You mumbled to yourself.
Your parent gave you a stern glare. "I only want the best for you. I thought you would be happy to be signed up to this school..."
It usually made you feel horrible to disappoint your parents, but at this point you could say you were disappointed in them. You were old enough to have a say in what you wanted to do with your life.
"I'm old enough to decide where I want to go to learn," you held your arms at your sides, puffing out your chest to make yourself seem a little more intimidating.
They scoffed, putting their hands on their hips. That was the classic 'you-made-me-angry-so-shut-up pose'.
"It's too late to take you out of this school now. I will have no further discussion of this with you," they said. "I've already bought your school supplies. Just go pack what you need," they ordered.
You groaned, trudging to your room and flopping down on your bed. You were too angry to even think about packing right now. You pulled out your phone, texting your friend to tell them about the bad news. You checked the website once again, but nothing would load except for the home page and the online registration. Strange...
You opened your phone calendar, counting the days until your unwanted departure, starting from today; September,1, 2050. You had to leave in seven days. You marked September 8th as 'off to hell', snickering at your own little joke. Your friend said that they would meet you around 6pm to say their final goodbyes,and to have a little fun before you went off.
The time now was 12pm, so you still had a lot of time to kill. You decided to rest until it was time. Sleep was all you needed now after finding out the horrible truth.