Chapter One

Chapter One

Todd pulled on the lead roughly, dragging me down the slick wet sidewalk, coated from a fresh rain.

“Todd! Seriously! I’m not as fast as you! We’ll be there soon enough, sheesh.”

Sometimes I thought the stupid dog had a fear of going outside with the way he acted to the slightest bit of Nature’s random actions. Inhaling a deep breath, I took a glance up at the darkening sky. Just great.

   The rain in the air was thick, but the smell it created was something I relished in. Nothing like a fresh rainfall.  “Come on Todd, nearly home-“ A loud clash of thunder burned through the air around us, Todd instantly began to howl, walking backwards, tail between his legs until his bum was firmly pressed against my aching calf.

“Oh for goodness sake Todd, it’s only a bit of-“ Again another clap resounded through the sky. Shivering, I pulled the large yellow raincoat closer together, stamping my winter boots twice on the ground. There was something about that thunderous noise that didn’t sit well with me. It sounded so much like a man’s –

“Oh Jesus Christ!” The noise boomed in the air, vibrating the leaves swinging precariously on the wintering trees. Suddenly I wasn’t so sure if that was just thunder anymore. Todd was whimpering, pressing his hind up against me again, releasing a sharp hiss through my teeth, I nudged him forward, tugging on the black lead. “Don’t be such a coward; you’re supposed to be a guard dog not a pussy cat.” Pushing a stray piece of auburn hair away from my cold cheeks, I pushed forward, rounding the corner into New York’s city. A late night dog walk in the middle of Central Park had seemed like a good idea at the time, now I was sorely regretting having brought the damn dog with me.

  Dragging Todd across the now less busy back roads of Manhattan, rain splashed up from the puddles I carelessly avoided with each step I took, desperate to get inside my apartment. Just as we turned into a closed off alleyway, Todd stopped himself, stuck riveted to the ground, a growl ferociously ripping from his furry chest. “God, Todd! There’s absolutely nothing there!” I tugged on his lead rather roughly but Todd was relentlessly continuing to bark into the darkness of the way.

I stepped forward sighing heatedly, “Look, nothing, see?”

“Are you sure about that?”

A screech flew from my lips as I twisted around, only nothing but darkness greeted me, Todd had suddenly hushed, making butterflies jitter around uneasily in my stomach.

“Who—Who’s there?”

Cursing myself silently for the shake in my voice, I defiantly stared ahead into the swallowing gloom. That’s it Frankie, show them you’re scared, idiot! Remember puppy training classes? Don’t show them you’re afraid!

It worried me that I was thinking of this situation as more of a wild predator, not a human man who’s voice I heard clearly ring out with a slight British accent underlying the smoothness.

A cold chuckle reverberated against the walls of the alley. I swallowed slowly, hearing Todd whimper and pant below me. “Show yourself!” I ground out through chattering teeth.

   A sudden push from my back had me pressed up against a hard, rough brick wall. A squeal escaped my lips as Todd forcefully pulled the lead from around my wrist and made a beeline for the exit of the alley. “Bloody dog! You’re supposed to protect me!” I managed to get out, my lips smushed against the rough brick work.

Another low chuckled was breathed out down my ear, warm breath disturbing the small hairs plastered to my cheeks from the cold rain. “Oh darling, I don’t think a mutt is going to help you now.” The voice chilled me to the bone as a masculine chest pressed against my spine, crushing me further into the wall. “Oof! Get off you big oaf!” I hissed, my palms now pressed against the wall in a fruitless attempt to remove myself from it’s grasps.

The man behind me let out a deep growl which I felt through my raincoat, sensually sending shivers across my pale skin. My head was pressed harshly against the not so soft wall. “Is that anyway to talk to the creature pinning you like a dead cow, to a wall?”

A dead cow?

“Oh, I’m so sorry! Excuse me for not exchanging pleasantries with that man!” Another growl ripped through him, before he spun me around so I was facing his tall figure.

Maybe ‘man’ didn’t quite fit this person…

He was tall, very tall; with grass green eyes that seemed to glow dangerously, despite the poorly lit alleyway’s darkness. What really stood out was the strange markings across his skin…and the mouth full of fangs that were slowly protruding out between his lips.

“H-Hi there…My name is Frankie Sullins, and you are?” I stuttered out, my gaze locked on those fangs. Way to go Frankie, give him your surname! Now he can stalk you at night, maybe even climb into your bed with those soft hands you can feel clutching at your wrists in a very provocative manner-

“Your worst nightmare.”

His voice was rich and despite my predicament, I couldn’t help but relish in the sound of it, like silk.

“Well that’s not cliché at all. What’s next, you have a clown car down the road? Van full of fat kids, bribed by candies? Are you going to kidnap me? Are you going to kill me? Are you going to rape-“ A warm gloved hand was forcefully clamped over my mouth, efficiently stopping my paranoia from projectile vomiting all over him.

“Will you shut it for just one second? I’m hungry and-“

“We can stop for tacos on the way?” His head snapped down, his glowing eyes penetrating my own. Whoa there Frankie, penetrating?

Snapping out of my thoughts as he slowly lowered his head until his nose was practically touching my own.

Then he let rip a big one.

I don’t mean a fart, I mean a massive, bone shaking, tooth grating—roar.

I knew I should have worn some Tenna Ladies.

My bladder almost self-exploded from the shock and pure terror his animalistic sound had caused.

  His rough palms pushed my shoulders against the wall and his knee came up between my legs, preventing me from escaping, his face coming in close again, his mouth of fangs wide open.

That’s when it happened.

I mean, this hadn’t happened in years, and the last time it did, I certainly wasn’t eighteen then.

It started with the same fuzzy warm feeling deep in her belly, then tears bean to squeeze themselves out of their holes. The fuzzy feeling moved up towards my chest, my heart began to beat erratically and I could feel the strange build-up of whatever was about to explode from me.  The man, no, the creature, in front of me began to come even closer, his jaws opening to an inhumanly wide size. The feeling in my chest began to vibrate, faster and faster, shaking my small body violently.

Tacos?” His voice was laced with a cynical hatred.

“No, Frances Sullins. I want your soul.”

***

I know I haven’t written anything in over a year, but I’ve decided to give a new story a go, I’ve had this idea in my head for a long time and wanted to share it with everyone. And guys? I promise I will actually finish this book!

I hope you liked it, any feedback in enormously appreciated.

Just leave me a message if you have any questions

-         Alisha Marie