Chapter 21: Journey

Start from the beginning

The form melted away and then I heard the frantic barking of Maximus. I dug my fingers into the dirt of the cave to keep myself hidden away when I wanted to jump up and run to him.

I waited, feeling more like a coward than ever. I'm sorry! I cried out. Maximus, I'm sorry!

I stayed there until it was dark and the night had cooled. I could see my breath, but I still didn't move from my corner. From far away came howl of a wolf, and I put my face in my skirt and cried.

I fell asleep that way. The sun peeked through the slates of the blinds and I cautiously made my way forward. I squinted through the branches, trying to make out if there was anyone watching and waiting. I pushed it to the side and slowly stuck my head out. I heard a quick yelp and then I was bowled over by a yellow streak. A wet tongue licked my face and neck frantically.

I wrapped my arms around his neck; happier than I could remember being since the boys had appeared that last full moon. His body squirmed and wiggled as he tried to put his substantial weight in my lap. Finally, he found a position that made him happy. His bottom on my knees and his paws on the ground. He stood up straight and proud, turning every once in a while with a quiet "woof," and a lick.

I rested my head on his back, smelling his comforting dog scent.

I had to leave. This place wasn't safe anymore. That man knew who I was; he knew why I was here, and he wanted to take me away.

I couldn't risk it.

He said he wanted to help me, but what if he wouldn't let me complete my task. What if he shut me up in a room and wouldn't allow me to leave. What if I couldn't escape?

I began to pack. I tied up all my skeins of thread and wrapped them in shawls and extra clothes. I carefully wrapped up the spindle so it wouldn't break, and the salve that Iasan had left me. I hefted the clothes and skeins onto my back, looked once around the cave and left. I saw a bundle near the cave mouth, but ignored it, knowing it had been left by the man from last night.

I made one more stop at the meadow, and deciding I had no choice, plucked every bit of distaff I could find. It may dry out before I could mash it, but I would have to risk it. If I needed to, I would work night and day to spin it.

Maximus and I walked all day. I followed the stream, walking in it when possible, hoping to mask my trail. I wish I had thought to ask the boys how to do this. I was afraid I was leaving glowing bright markers: Keela went this way! It seemed like the dog understood what I was trying to do, or maybe he was trying to catch minnows, but he splashed in front of me happily. We walked for hours. The scenery changed from forest, all loamy green and mossy, to trees that were set apart distantly. Every once in a while, the river would dip beneath the ground and I would find myself clamoring over a rock wall.

Maximus stayed closer. I watched for other signs of people. Despite the lateness of the day, it seemed like the forest was brighter. I stopped when the trees opened into a bright field. I edged closer, careful to stay behind trees.

It seemed empty. There were no horses, no crops, no signs of people. If I could make it across the field, to the woods, I could keep traveling.

Maximus looked up at me, waiting. His tail gave a tentative wag, and I smiled.

I crouched low, running as quickly as I could, while trying to make myself small. Maximus ran in front of me, getting to the woods and disappearing. I was halfway there when I heard the pounding of hooves. I dropped to my belly, hoping the grass would hide me. The hooves got closer and closer. I had no choice. Run and they'd find me; stay here and they'd trample me.

I got up and ran. I ran as fast as I could, but the horses got louder. I could hear voices yelling and the heavy pant of the horse.

"STOP!" A deep voice yelled. I looked over my shoulder; they were so close. A hand gripped the back of my dress, hefting me into the air. I kicked and turned, and the person was forced to drop me. I threw myself on my back, skittering away as fast as I could, and spooking the horse. His big, black body blotted out the blue sky as he reared up. The rider yanked the reins, I saw his leather boots gripping the horse's sides tightly.

"Whoa!"

I felt the hoof slam into my temple, and collapsed. I waited for the next stomp, the next burst of pain. My pulse thundered in my ears, and my vision got bright and hazy, before turning grey, and then black.

I groaned, feeling my body rock side to side. Water splashed my face, and I licked cracked lips. I tasted salt and felt a cold wind cut through my wet clothes.

"Hold the sail!" I heard someone yell.

I could hear voices yelling. An argument of words that volleyed back and forth.

"Do not move, girl." A deep and accented voice commanded me. "You were herded in the field. Stay still."

"Hurt," someone responded. "She was hurt, not herded."

I tried to open my eyes but my head hurt too much. Wherever I was lifted up into the air and then slammed back down, jarring my body and knocking me back into the blackness.