BA 9 | ✓ beaumont knights

09

beaumont knights

"You know we've been at this for three hours," Janella deadpanned, pushing herself up. She'd been lying on her stomach for half the conversation while working through music homework.

"In case you haven't noticed," Christian said through the phone, "This is painful."

"You're a grade six in piano. This should be easy for you."

Trufthfully, Christian thought and he was glad she couldn't see him, it was easy for him (and probably much easier for Janella) and he'd finished his worksheets ten minutes into their conversation. But it was a petty way to keep talking to her, (he'd figured), so why not?

"Jea," he cleared his throat, "I hate writing notes. And may I remind you that you're a grade seven, which makes this easier for you."

The girl giggled, "Yeah, yeah, whatever. Are you done?"

Three hours ago. He thought, but faux groaned, "Yeah. Just finished."

"Good. Are you done annoying me now?"

"Ouch. I'm annoying now?" He laughed. She packed her things, neatly tucking her pacer into her pencil case and setting her books and worksheets aside onto her bedside table and settling herself into bed. She might as well make herself comfortable because she knew this conversation was far from over.

And besides, she loved talking to Christian.

"How's the situation at home?" He asked, after her tucked himself into bed.

"Civil," she muttered, "there haven't been any fights. But you can feel the tension between my Kuya's and between my dad and Kuya, but that's existed long before Kuya James lived with us. I don't know. I'm happy Kuya is home but I feel like it's going to be a long time before we become an actual family."

Christian sighed, "Just give it time, Jea. It's deep wounds that need healing, and you're doing the best you can. I know how much you were hurt by what your dad did. And it's tough to accept someone new to your home. But you've been so loving and compassionate, especially towards James. If anything, you deserve an award for accepting him as an older brother, forgiving your dad, loving your Kuya the way you do and doing everything you can to build your family."

Janella smiled, "Thanks Christian."

"No problem," he quipped, "but you know your brothers actually have one thing in common."

"Huh?"

"Basketball," Christian answered, "Did you know James can play basketball? He's really good."

"Really?" Janella pushed herself up again, her blanket falling off, excitement brewing.

"Yeah. To be honest, I think he's better than me. He should be on the team, actually. We're short of a player because Adrian left the country."

And tick. Christian, you are a genius! Janella squealed, pushing herself off her bed. She quickly bid him goodbye, telling him she'd call him back, stuffing her phone into her pyjama pockets and bolting out of her room towards Daniel's.

"You know it's common courtesy to knock." Daniel deadpanned, as his sister barged into his room, slamming the door in excitement. He'd heard her footsteps, and the slam of her bedroom door. At her ruffled look and puppy eyes, he raised an eyebrow.

"What do you want?" He asked, setting aside the book he was reading. He knew that look all too well. She was going to ask him for something, and it was something he wasn't going to like.