51. Erudite's Visit

Start from the beginning

"Well, it's nice to see someone so motivated," she replies, and I can tell that she's secretly very happy with me. "Dauntless is lucky to have an initiate such as yourself this year."

I give a faint smile and look to Eric. Is this why he wanted me to be on my best behavior and make myself look good? For Jeanine? Was he trying to impress her?

"Well, we'll let you escort our initiate here to the simulation room," Max says to Eric, "You can join us as soon as you do that."

Eric gives a nod, and the group of seven resume their walk down the hallway. My dad and I both share a look as they pass by us, but Eric's hand returns to the small of my back and pushes me forward to begin walking. I guess the meeting that Brian earlier mentioned to Eric about obviously has to do with Erudite. But what are they here to discuss with Dauntless? Jeanine's plan to get rid of Divergents some more?

Feeling uneasy about this all, I try to walk alongside Eric as he leads us away. I'm still not sure why he told them he was taking me to the simulation room. Does he actually plan on taking me there?

When we're far enough away from the group that they're out of sight, I finally speak up and ask, "What is Jeanine doing here? And why'd you lie to them and say you were taking me to the simulation room?"

As we turn left down the next hallway, I realize that he is, in fact, leading us to the simulation room.

"I'm sorry I made you lie like that," he says as we continue to walk, "But I didn't just want to leave you alone after what happened with Hunter."

Oh, right. Hunter. I guess the heart-stopping surprise of having to deal with Jeanine made me temporarily forget about him.

We turn left again and arrive just outside the fear simulation room. Eric reaches for and grabs his set of keys out of his pocket and unlocks the door. He pushes me inside first, then closes the door behind us.

"Why'd you bring us in here?" I ask. "You're not going to actually make me practice my fears, are you?"

Stepping closer to me, he shakes his head. "No. I just needed a minute alone with you before I have to go back and join them for the meeting."

"Wait, I don't— What is she even doing here? Why did you want me to fake a smile and be on my best behavior? For her?"

"I didn't know she was going to be here. I just got back from Amity today remember? And I didn't think it'd be a good idea for any of them to find out you just came from a fight with another initiate. I mean, hell, you're lucky they didn't see me carrying you over my shoulder all kicking and screaming."

"He embarrassed me, and you just let him. God, Eric, you didn't even say anything! All you did was carry me out of there over your shoulder like I was a child!"

"Babe, I told you, I'll deal with him later, okay? I promise. You come first, though. Right now, I have you to worry about. So just stay in here and cool off for a while. I'll make sure to lock the door until I come back so that no one else comes in here."

"Wait, no, Eric, I don't wanna be locked in here—"

"It's the only way I know you'll be safe, okay? All the leaders will be in the meeting with Jeanine, and I don't want you and Hunter going at it again while none of us are around. So, please, just stay in here so that I know you're safe, and I promise I'll come back here to get you as soon as the meeting's over. It's either this or wait up in my apartment."

I want to argue so badly, but I know that he's serious right now and there are no other options. It's either wait in here for him to come back and get me or wait up in his apartment. The thing is, though, I haven't been back to his apartment ever since the day I broke up with him. That was over four weeks ago, and I honestly don't see myself ready to go back there yet. There's just too many memories.