Chapter 15

I was so angry. I punched a wall so hard my knuckles started to hurt like crazy. She freaking picked him, even after we've been through. Goddamnit.

I couldn't think straight. I had to go.

After that, Ashley never spoke to me. No texts, ignored me if when passed by each other on the hall. Even after October became November, she still... Damn it.

I was doing my exercises when my phone started ringing. Unknown caller.

"Yellow?"

"Adam?"

I remember this voice.

"Hey, Michelle. How did you get my number?"

"I asked Ashley for it a few weeks back. I saw her today. She wasn't very happy at you."

"Tell me something I don't know... "

"Well, what are you up to? You sound out of breath."

Crap, think. Tell her something... Anything.

"I wasn't jacking off, if that's what you're thinking."

What. What??!!! ARE YOU FREAKING SERIOUS, GRAHAM??!!!

"Uuuuh....."

She was trying not to, but couldn't hold it in any longer and kept laughing.

"Sorry, that was... uh... a poor choice of words."

"Tell me about it. Write any stories lately?"

"Yeah, want me to email them to you?"

"That'd be great. Been looking forward to read some stories. Let me give you my address."

After sending her the documents, she stayed on the line as she read. He various one word comments kept me at the edge of my seat. After what seemed like an hour, she finished.

"Now, where to begin... First story wasn't good. The plot was all over the place, the powers didn't make a slick of sense and the conflict was really lacking. The second was ok, but you tried too hard to skip mayor steps and forgot that space where you could've added more, make the story much more interesting. And another thing. The protagonist of each of these all seemed like the same. Like you keep recycling the same depressed, overly angry and emo male character."

Man, every word felt like a stab at my back. My pride as a writer went down the freaking toilet. I could feel like the world was ending.

"Buuuut..."

"Huh?"

"The first story was really sweet. Yes the plot was a bit lacking, but what the plot lacked you added in those few details that other writers would've ignored. There's this warm feeling coming from it. The second story felt rushed, but that rush actually complimented the conflict and made you feel a flurry of emotions all at the same time. You have stuff to work on, but you really did put a lot of work on these to the point they all feel like it's your work and no one else's. And that's something to be proud of."

"T-thanks..."

No one had actually crucified my work so much yet managed to pick out the good parts of them, all at the same time.

"Now that I said that, don't you feel better?"

"What do you mean?"

"This whole thing with Ashley. She told me what happened. It didn't seem like you to get physical with someone. You must really like Ash."

"Yeah well, none of it matters, really. I'm just a friend to her, after all."

"If that's what friendship looks like, I'd pay to see the relationship."

"Hahaha."

"You'd make a good boyfriend to whichever lucky girl managed to capture your heart. I'd be interested."

"Well well well, Miss Summers, are you hitting on me?"

"Hahahaha, yeah right, sport. Ashley actually wanted to set us up on a date once, you know."

"Really? Hahaha, sounds totally like her."

"Yeah."

We spent the last 10 minutes just laughing about that until it went late into the night.

"But in all seriousness, Adam."

"Huh?"

"I don't trust that Sean fellow... She may be a little thick headed and dense, but she's still my best friend. So I want you to promise me something."

"Tell me."

"If he does hurt her, I want you to kick his teeth in for me."

"I'm gonna break one tooth per every tear he makes her shed. You can count on that."

"Thanks. See what I mean. You act more protective than most guys I know with their girlfriends. Can't wait to see you two go out."

"That'll be the day, Michelle. She would never see me as anything other than a friend."

"Never say never, dude. Anyway, gotta go. Good night."

"Good night, Michelle."

She hanged up and as I looked at my phone and saved her number into my contacts, many questions popped in my head. Was she serious about that thing with Ashley wanting to hook us up? Why did she really call for? Was it all just to tell me to kick Sean's ass, or was it for something else entirely? Well, whatever the reason, she helped me calm down, laugh a little, and most importantly, stay determined.