Wishing Upon A Star

David and I strolled to Brooklyn Bridge Park. He took me on one of the many pathways that cut through the 85 acres that sat along the river's border. We reached the very center of the park, the faint noise of Brooklyn at night was almost gone. The city's lights couldn't reach us, I looked up to the inky black sky. I pulled in a breath of the clear,  chilled air. It was so fresh, but that wasn't the best part. The sky was cleared of clouds that night, it's stars gleamed with golden light. The moon was like a pale face watching over the city. The summer breeze whispered through the trees creating a unique song. I circled around a park bench nearby, taking in my surroundings.

"It's beautiful." I exclaimed as I stood there in awe, setting David's drawing down on the park bench next to me.

"I know." David said, "I love coming here when I've had a hard day at work. I come here and relax." He said sitting on the grass. He leaned back, throwing his arms out. He was looking up at the stars, I came over and sunk down next to him. David motioned for me to lean back. I slowly, hesitantly, laid down next to him. We were a few inches apart.

"You know," David said looking over at me, I looked over to him. Our eyes meeting, he glanced down, before meeting my eyes again. "My mom used to lay in the back yard with me and she told me all of my constellations."

"Really?" I asked, I don't know the American names for constellations.

"Yes, see that one?" David asked, pointing off to the west, "That's Gemini, and that," He said pointing to the east, "is Cancer."

I smiled, "What's the one that looks like a measuring cup?"

"We call the little one 'The Little Dipper' and the big one 'The Big Dipper'." David said, a smile on his lips.

"Very original." I rolled my eyes, "What's the one that looks like a 'w'?" I asked pointing to another collection of stars. "What's that one?" I asked pointing to another pattern.

"Cassiopeia," He said, simply. "and Andromeda."

"Those are pretty names, Cassiopeia and Andromeda. If I ever have a daughter, I'd name her Andromeda."

"I-I-I've always wanted to have a son, I think I'd name him Gideon James. I think it'd be wonderful to have daughter too." I looked over to David, his Adam's apple bobbing up and down. I noticed him wipe his eye.

"What's wrong?" I sat up and look over at him.

"There was this girl, Hazel. We were really close, we talked about a future together, I told her about my thoughts on having children, then she up and left me. No reason. I guess I loved her and seeing her go broke my heart." I watched him carefully,

"I'm so sorry." David gave me a sad smile. We sat there for a moment, staring into each other's eyes. 

"Why do people apologize for something they never did?" He asked, turning back to look at the sky.

"I don't know, but I'm sorry that she hurt you." David sighed, his eyes flung open wider.

"A shooting star," He said pointing as the light streaked across the sky, "make a wish Emma!" I smiled and silently wished upon a star.