I surveyed the faces. "Well?"

"Is this a joke?" Max asked. He turned to Ian. "The fun and games are over. Sack her now."

My jaw gaped open for one nanosecond. "That's uncalled for."

"Count me out of this one." Paul said, rising and pouring himself a glass of water.

I didn't like how fast Paul jumped from this potential Titanic.

"Donato's going to have a good snicker over this one," Max said, sliding it back to me. "And you."

I told myself to be calm. "Last year Ian was expected to finish eighth but he placed three better, and he had to move over for his teammate four times. Shouldn't he be rewarded?"

"They're going to laugh you out of the room." Max flicked my proposal at me like a marble.

I opened my mouth to protest but Paul shook his head fractionally and I closed it. "Max, my job's clear and that's to be Ian's chief negotiator. He brings in more revenue from promotional material than Winters and that should count for something."

"Because the old guy likes you? Don't misunderstand physical attraction for respect."

"I assure you I don't confuse the two."

Max picked up my proposal and leafed through it, pretending to read it again. "You believe that Donato is going to give Ian that much each time he has to move over for Winters? They may as well get another driver and pay him a third."

"But Ian brings in more endorsement money than any of the available drivers. In fact he brings in the most money with the exception of Masi and Riedl."

"Don't you go and try to take credit for it. Those deals were in place long before you came along."

"And thanks to me, Ian still has those deals. Need I remind you of the Tangerine and Nizzola disaster?"

Max bristled. "Look darling, my point is simple. Masi and Riedl have more appeal."

"With men, I agree. But thirty-five percent of IRF's audience is women. Of that thirty-five percent, Ian holds not the plurality, but the majority. If Masi and Riedl take a quarter of all male racing fans and Ian were to take a small portion, even a tenth, the number of racing fans supporting Ian would outnumber them."

"Based on what?"

"O ye of little faith," I said with a smile. I slid the statistics across the table for Max to peruse. I handed out copies to Ian and Paul as well. I'd done my research and Ian's eyes glinted with admiration. The silent compliment gave me goose bumps.

Max was unperturbed. "And you reckon they're going to pay him double for each point he scores based on this information? If Ian had an all right year, he'd be making close to what some of the top drivers are making. It's unheard of."

"And what does he have to sacrifice to make that money? Would any of the top drivers play second fiddle to Winters?"

"This proposal is insulting."

"Every negotiation has to start somewhere. I don't expect them to take one look and sign off."

"This gets a driver thrown off a team and possibly destroys his career."

"We need to try, Max."

"Darling, you've bitten off far more than you can chew. You can't expect Donato to roll over because of you're pretty face. Ian, what are your thoughts?"

Ian looked at me, his eyes penetrating. I waited anxiously for what he had to say. He'd been quiet and I worried that Max had convinced him that I was an amateur. I watched him tap his recently manicured fingers on the table, his eyes never leaving mine.

"I've faith in Leda and her abilities. Donato has taken advantage of me for three bloody years. I deserve to be compensated. I say we give it a go."

"Ian, you're mad," Max said, whirling around in his seat. "Donato won't accept this."

"But they're gonna know we're serious. Let's face it, Max, I'm never gonna drive for a better team and be number one. I don't have the talent Masi, Riedl and Winters have, so I need to take what I can get."

"What if they tell you to bugger off?"

"Then I'll bugger off! I haven't taken a risk in ages and now's the time. If it fails, I drive in America or something."

I cleared my throat. "If it fails, I'll resign."

The men exchanged glances. "You won't," Ian said sternly.

"If this fails, I won't be able to face your disappointment. Be sure you want to proceed. I don't want you to feel pressured."

"Let's do it."