Chapter 2

It was one o'clock in the morning, and they've been waiting since five. Dean is bored out of his mind and was about to go to sleep, Sam spots a shadow moving warily down the sidewalk.

"Dean wake up, someone's here" Sam shakes his shoulder and points as it grew closer.

Dean jolts up and watches without replying.

"There can't be a good reason for someone to be out here in the middle of the night."

Sam hunkers down so the figure wouldn't spy any movement. Dean turns to him with a joking look.

"We're out here in the middle of the night, aren't we?"

Sam shrugs and gestures again as the suspect looks around and then climbs over the bushes of the elderly lady's yard. When it leans down to place something, the brothers turn to look at each other.

Sam whispers before he opens the door of the impala. "I'll get the witch, you find the hex bag"

The door creaks when Dean gets out and the head of the mystery person whipped around to see too large men heading straight towards them. Sam curses as they break into a sprint towards the woods.

Dean casually jogs to the garden of the elderly lady and searches under the brush. Among the rose bushes, he found a singular leather pouch. Without checking its contents, he hopped in the car and called Sam.

"Did you catch her?"

"Yes, but it's more of a 'him' than a 'her'"

"Whatever, where are you?"

"He tried to escape into a house, it's the first brick one down the road, number 205"

"Alright, I'm already there"

Dean hung up and parallel parked in front of a small house. The front door was open and light was spilling out.

He walked in and entered the kitchen, tossing the 'hex bag' on the counter closest to Sammy. The runner's hands were tied behind him with Sam's belt and a kitchen towel was stuffed in his mouth to keep him quiet. He sat glaring at the two from a dining room chair.

Sam swiped the bag and loosened the drawstrings, letting the contents pour onto the counter. Dried herbs and crystals rolled out.

The towel was yanked out of the captive's mouth angrily by Dean.

"What are these things, and why did you want to hurt the old lady?"

"What the hell is wrong with you? Go put that pouch back!" He grits his teeth and struggles against the bonds.

Sam spies a deep purple book with an intricate design on the hard cover, the swirls and vines twist into the letters "Spells and Remedies". He picks it up and brings it over, Dean gives it a once over and is goes to pull out his pistol. The anger leaves the boy's eyes and is replaced by fear.

"Wait, wait! I know this looks bad, but I'm not the one you're looking for."

Dean's hand falls off his gun. "That's basically a confession"

"No it's not, gather evidence before conviction, loser."

Sam opens the book to read the evidence. "Dean, this isn't black magic. It's all healing and fortune spells and whatnot"

"What about the herb mojo?"

"Same thing, it was Althea, euphorbia, acacia, ebony, and aegerine in that bag" the boy retorts, tartly. "I'm not using black magic, it's in my family's bloodline"

Sam closes the book and sets it down. "That's not possible"

Getting irritated, he sighs. "Magic skips a generation, my real grandmother died before I met her, I don't know the ropes. Untie me please?"

Dean crosses his arms and put on a stern look. "Why shouldn't we waste you right now?"

A pleading look fell upon the witch's face. "Because I'm innocent! As well as a qualified hunter by any standards."

Sam at this point has blocked out the two and is skimming through the spell book. Dean challenges every defense the boy throws out.

"You're a witch, you can't be a hunter"

"You need to broaden your mind. There's another witch in this town who uses black magic, I don't want to kill anyone so I've been using cancellation magic and protection herbs on her hex bags"

Sam gets up and relieves the captive's hands from his belt. He shakes his hands to get the feeling back and then holds one out.

"Thanks, the name's (Y/n)"

He takes it with a bit of a smile, his brother on the other hand, is pouting.

"Sam, and that's Dean. We're the Winchesters"

When Sam finishes speaking Dean questions (Y/n) more.

"So you've never killed before, not even a monster or whatever"

The shorter boy walked over to the counter to put the herbs back in the pouch.

"No, I've exorcised, and stopped a werewolf but I don't kill. If I had half a brain I'd kick you two out of my house or call the cops."

Sam pipes up, looking embarrassed.

"So-so this is your house..." He laughs shortly before (Y/n) can answer. "That makes sense, sorry"

Dean cuts him off before he can talk anymore.

"How'd you stop a werewolf"

"You know what? Your brother was the one who tackled me and I already like him more." The (hair color) witch gestures to the couch, ""That's a story for another time. Right now you two can crash on the couch as long as you don't kill me or call another hunter"

Sam picks up the chair their new ally was previously tied to and put it back.

"Why are you letting us sleep here if we could kill you?"

He stops at the stairs and looks back. "The she-witch is more dangerous than you, and I have alarm spells on my bedroom entrance."

With that, Sam grabbed a pillow off the couch and settled on the plush living room carpet. He may not have a bed, but at least is smelled better than dirty motel.