Dangerous Flames, Mafia Hearts Book 1

Chapter One

 Energy buzzed through the crowded coffee house and swirled around with the vast quantity of people, some of them decked out in designer labels while others, content in touristy wear, sipped their drinks. Gabrielle had chosen to meet her father here because they wouldn’t need to worry about mixing in with the crowd. She didn’t care, but her father did.

The coffee shop served as the ideal place for her. She’d be able to have the chat with her father and then get into her shop a few doors down to have it open to customers in a half hour. Ordering their mochas ahead of time saved her a few precious minutes. She handed him his drink before taking a seat across the small wooden table from him.

“I could’ve ordered for myself,” he said with a twist of his mouth. “Black coffee is all I ever order.” He sipped the chocolate-flavored liquid in the white and green colored cup while scanning the people seated around him. His face formed into a grimace. “Gabi, I hate this poor excuse for coffee and the establishment you’ve picked.”

“I’m sorry, Dad. It’s been a while since we’ve had coffee together and I automatically ordered this. I’ll remember next time though.” Her hands started to shake while the realization of her screw-up sunk in. If she couldn’t get his stupid order correct, how could she work for him?

For Gabrielle Medini, the goal seemed simple. She wanted excitement and glamour, but her life had changed from country hopping as a teen to boring at age twenty-five and she longed to recapture that sizzle. Everything had become clear, leading her to believe that her father held the answers. She needed this discussion to be perfect, but their conversation had quickly slid in the opposite direction.

“Don’t pretend this is a casual father-daughter bonding moment. Why did you request this meeting?”

She tapped the toe of her Dior pump against the tiled floor as she glanced at the red lipstick print on her straw. Uncertainty swirled through her as she twisted the straw around in the dark creamy liquid. Just ask him. But his answer would certainly be no. She slowly inhaled and then let the breath exhale slowly to calm her nerves. The trembling in her hands stopped. Yes, she could do this.

“Okay, Dad, since we both have a full work day, I’ll cut to the chase so we can get out of here.” She made contact with her father’s steel glare.

“Is something wrong, Gabi? Are you in trouble?” His voice softened a bit which was rare.

“Nothing is wrong, Dad.” Trying to capture another ounce of courage, she took a long drink of her coffee. She replaced the cup on the table and with a faked confident smile, she said, “I think it’s time you tell me about your organization.”

Her father’s jaw dropped in concert with his cup, spewing hot liquid all over. “Damn it!” He jumped up from the table, then grabbed paper napkins from the counter to dab the splotches from his navy, silk suit.

After a quick glance at the long line of customers waiting for service, she decided to wipe the mess from the table herself instead of waiting for an employee’s help. She sighed. With so many interruptions, she’d be lucky if the discussion ever took place, let alone they come to an agreement. 

“They provide lids for those cups for a reason, you know,” she snapped as she wiped the table. She stalked over to the trash can and threw away the soggy napkins.

“I don’t like lids.”

“They prevent liquid from spilling, and now I don’t have time to buy you another one.”

She pulled her chair closer to the table as she sat and eyed her father’s posture. His crossed arms and the deepened frown told her he wasn’t happy, but she couldn’t let this go. “I’ve noticed some things about our family and it’s time for you to be honest with me.”