Chapters 4-6

CHAPTER FOUR

The day was turning out much better than Patience had anticipated. Far from feeling awkward and socially inept, she had not had a chance to worry about how she might sound or appear to others. Although she found a larger crowd easy to merge into in an anonymous way, she disliked small, intimate gatherings where she might be singled out for attention, or criticism, even if silent.

Lord Blackwood’s carriage arrived to collect her and Lorna for the expedition to the largest of the Royal parks, Richmond Park situated in south-west London. The group comprised several other ladies and gentlemen, which included Miss Sophie Sutcliffe, Lorna’s ceaselessly giggling friend, another pretty young lady who turned out to be one of Sophie’s childhood friends, and Mrs. Sutcliffe, Sophie’s vigilant mama as chaperone for the young people. Sophisticates such as Lady Gwendolyn Iverson and Miss Annabel Cartwright might scorn the very idea of a chaperone but they were not above social censure and Mrs. Sutcliffe was welcomed as part of the group. Her round face surmounted by a heavily beribboned bonnet bore the satisfied, some might say smug, smile of a woman who knows she is a valuable, nay, indispensable part of any social gathering involving single, eligible persons intent on furthering their acquaintance.

The gentlemen comprised Lord Blackwood and Captain Lyndon; as well as a goggle-eyed, callow youth named Mr. Adonis Capshaw, who persisted in making sheep’s eyes at Sophie. Lorna marvelled in a whisper to Patience at Mr. Capshaw’s starched shirt points, so high they nearly reached his ears. Swelling the number of gentlemen were a Mr. Samuel Smedley whose astonishingly large fortune made him eminently desirable at any social event with unattached young women; and Viscount Birdwell, a young man whose pleasant face, quiet charm, and good manners cast him as an instant favourite.

The idea was for the group to enjoy a nuncheon al fresco and then stroll about the park, admiring the floral displays for which the park was celebrated. Carpets of daffodils and bluebells, as well as bowers of magnolias and camellias tempted the discerning visitor. Supplied with rugs and large cushions from Lord Blackwood’s carriage, as well as several baskets of delicious food, everyone made themselves comfortable on the rugs and embarked upon the enjoyable task of eating and drinking. Under the mellowing influence of balmy sunshine, fresh air, Lord Blackwood’s excellent wines, and a lavish selection of tasty food, it did not take long for everyone to relax and for various alliances or romantic interests to become apparent.

Patience observed the unfolding of these group interactions with an artist’s eye, and mentally outlined various sketches she would make when the moment presented itself. The ladies presented a charming picture, with each damsel dressed in keeping with the pastoral nature of the excursion. Light muslin dresses in pastel shades, charming country style hats, feather-light wispy shawls that threatened to escape in a strong breeze—in their own way, they all looked extremely pretty. Even Sophie, who tended towards plumpness, had an ethereal quality about her. Needless to say, Lorna outshone them all, as the sunlight lit up her fiery curls and illuminated her beautiful face.

They did not lack amusing entertainment. Mr. Smedley, although not particularly handsome, did not rely only on the size of his fortune to win female admirers. Besides his amiable nature, he possessed a quick wit and a gift for parody. His comical tales and droll caricatures of well-known society figures and politicians soon had the group laughing until tears rolled down their cheeks. Mr. Smedley enjoyed the attentions of both Lady Iverson and Miss Cartwright, who (some said) were desperate to marry before the Season ended, or at least secure a respectable proposal. However, he seemed to be deeply enamoured of Miss Sutcliffe’s friend, whom Patience learned was a Miss Priscilla Wicklow, a dark-haired, green-eyed Irish beauty. Adonis Capshaw, whose parents must have been sadly disappointed that he in no way resembled his famous namesake, shot pleading and mournful looks in Sophie’s direction. However, her mama, mindful that Sophie should make a good match above Mr. Capshaw’s position, discouraged these melting glances by sharply adjuring her daughter to sit up straight and pay attention to the conversation. Giggling, Sophie cast a final encouraging glance at her doleful admirer before turning her back on him to talk to Lorna.