The Day of Resurrection

A/N: This chapter is dedicated to arty_writes because her comments have really been encouraging! And I haven’t updated in a while, so this dedication is my apology to her.

Three Months Later…in Limbo…

This was it. They were gone. All the memories, all the people.

Artemis felt himself straining to stay, but why was he trying to stay here in this strange place when he could let go so easily? What was his purpose? Was he waiting for someone to help him get out of here?

Oh, think Artemis. You are smart. Where could you possibly be?

He thought for many moments, or what felt like moments to him.

Let’s see what I have. I remember waking up this morning, but where was I?

Artemis continued to feel himself slipping away as he forced his brain to conjure up memories that he no longer possessed.

Something is missing…

He could sense the part of him that was gone. It made him feel lost, alone, and…scared. If Artemis could cry at that moment, he would have. There was a hole in his life, well, what was left of it. And he genuinely felt frightened. What if he could not get out?

Something is very wrong. Perhaps I am sleeping. Stuck in a dreamless slumber maybe?

No, he was not sleeping. He knew that wasn’t right.

Where am I? Why can I not get out of this place?! How…

Suddenly, Artemis did not feel as though he was slipping away anymore. He felt something else, a presence. He tried to force himself towards the presence, only to come back full circle to the fact that he did not possess a body anymore. So instead, he imagined that he was moving to the sensation, that he was close.

Then he heard a dim voice.

“Artemis! Come to my voice!”

Butler? He tried to move faster in his mind.

And the voices became  a bit clearer.

“Artemis,” he didn’t know this voice, but it was familiar. Not being able to recognize the owner of the voice made him feel hollow again. “Artemis, please.”

“Sorry, Captain. But this is my area of expertise.”

Butler knew this girl and this girl knew him. Who is she?

Artemis continued to feel the life enter him. He was coming back from wherever he was.

“Holly, I think…I think it worked.” Holly? I have to know her! But I can’t remember! Why can’t I remember?!

“Artemis,” She said again. “Artemis, come back to us.”

Earlier that Day…

Holly slapped the snooze button on the alarm clock and yawned. Today was a big day.

Today was the day that he would come back.

She tried to pull herself out of the bed, but a pair of strong arms tightened around her waist. She fell back onto the mattress and was flipped around to face a sleepy Trouble Kelp. Holly smiled to herself as she took in his childlike features. His hair was a mess, his eyes were half closed and he had a playful grin on his lips. She had to admit to herself that Trouble was cute, but she had made it very clear to him since the first night that she was not ready for a relationship. It was nothing more than a mutual friendship; they were just two broken people who found comfort in each other.