CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT

Start from the beginning

Catherine rose from the sofa when she spotted me and walked in my direction with a smile. "I thought the newly weds would have wanted time alone for a while."

When I bent forward at the agonizing pain, her eyes widened and she helped me walk back to my room. "Where is my mother and Lana?"

"Lana was tired so they are in room 17 resting." She paused. "Why hasn't Aaron mated with you?"

"He rejected me."

"What?"

We stopped at the door of my room and I leant against it, taking deep breaths. "He said that we couldn't mate."

"Oh...I see now." Catherine seemed to be in her own little world, deciphering something. "Just give him time."

"Give him time for what?"

"You told me that Aaron had not been with anyone, not even his wife, so he has been in a diet for over one hundred years. Trust me, you want him to take this easy. If he was to mate with you while your on heat, he might hurt you."

I narrowed my eyes. "But, Eliot didn't hurt you."

"First of all, I wasn't in her or a virgin. I was able to handle him."

"I can handle Aaron."

She tapped my shoulder. "Trust me. You don't want him to claim you until he is ready."

"So what? Am I to endure this every night?"

Catherine's smiled grew. "You wouldn't have to go through this if you would have chosen my brother."

"Catherine—"

"I know. You should speak with him."

"Now?"

"Hey it's not like you have anything better to do."

I nodded and followed her to the study. When she pushed the doors wide open, I was not expecting such a wide room that appeared like the library at Sector 15. Sammy was there looking through some books while Jackson made notes in a paper.

Zoe seemed engrossed as she trailed her fingers over the spines of the books, a smile on her lips. Her eyes met mine for a moment. She seemed happy to see me, but the moment she glanced at Sammy, her eyebrows knitted together.

"Come on. You both need to get something to eat."

Zoe exited the room, but Sammy didn't. He seemed too engrossed in reading the book in his hands. "Nah, I'm fine." Catherine shot him a look and he smiled. "Oh, okay."

Once they were out of the room, I took a seat on the table across from Jackson. "Is everything okay between us?"

He nodded, not lifting his gaze. I stood up and walked around the table until I was behind him. When I placed my hands on his shoulders, I no longer felt the effects that I did before Aaron marked me.

"Where is your mate?"

"I have no idea." I wrapped my arms around him and smiled. "What are you doing?"

"Helping Samuel with some stuff. Some of these books contain valuable information about his family."

The doors opened and I stepped away from him as Ana ran to us. She hugged me before giving him a kiss on the cheek. Catherine walked back into the room with Lana. She smiled and sat down on the chair in front of Jackson.

"What are you reading?"

I couldn't hear their conversation the moment the heat hit me again. Everything seemed to become a big blur before I hit the ground hard, my elbow taking all the impact. Painful tremors shot up my arm, but they were nothing compared to the pain invading every inch of my body.