Chapter four: Broken Spirit

Start from the beginning

He answers, "Officer Travis."

"Hi, Officer, this is Brandy Page, the crazy lady with the stalker." She tries to joke about her situation.

Ron remembers her well, "Miss Page, it's good to hear from you, how's everything these days?"

"Not so good...I just received another gift, and a death threat."

"Death threat? You sure it's from the same guy? He's never threatened you before!"

"I'm pretty sure it's him."

"Okay, well, we're shorthanded at the moment, and I'm kind of busy, but I'll come by as soon as I can."

"Sure, anytime, I don't have anywhere to be...Did you just say, shorthanded?"

                                                                                 Signs of Progress

Harrison has yet to name his little girl, and he has no plans of doing so anytime soon. He feels that once it has a name, he will begin to have feelings for it. He tries not to think about those things, instead, he concentrates on his plan. For the time being, he calls her, 'Hey', or 'You', or 'Little Shit'. Sometimes, it's all three, "Hey you little shit!"

The child is growing quickly. Before Harrison realizes it, she is crawling, exploring new areas of the house. The only room he won't allow her in is his bedroom. He keeps the door locked, and hasn't entered it himself since the night Rebecca died, leaving the room just as it was that night. The bed sheets and the floor were left crusted with dried blood. The only traces of Rebecca that remains in the house.

As the child crawls around the dirty floor, her hands and knees become black with filth. He doesn't worry about what she will get into. Nothing is baby proofed. Harrison sets mouse traps in curious locations throughout the house to see if she'll find them.

She reaches the coffee table and pulls herself up to look. A glass of water sits alone in the center of the table. She reaches for it and knocks it to the floor. The glass shatters and water goes everywhere. Harrison sighs, knowing he will have to clean this up later. The baby crawls through the broken glass and tiny shards get embedded into her hands and knees. She wails from the pain but Harrison doesn't care, he just chuckles, "You won't do that again, will you?"

His lessons are harsh. He thinks of them as a form of tough love, only without any love involved. They are a necessary part of her training. The best way for her to learn is through experience.

With each passing day she grows bigger and Harrison must make changes to accommodate her. The grill she has slept in is swapped out for a larger, equally comfortable, metal dog kennel. It has been stored outside in an old shed for years. The former owners of the house left it behind. The base of the crate is covered in mold and feces, cobwebs entangled in the rusty metal grids. Harrison likes the cage because it features a swinging door with a latch. Now he won't need to worry about the baby crawling out of her room in the middle of the night.

As she begins to understand words, Harrison tests her progress. He lays out multiple pictures and says, "Electrocution."

The baby points to the picture of a man strapped in an electric chair.

Harrison continues, "Autopsy."

She points to the picture of a corpse with a large "Y" incision.

Harrison is pleased, though he doesn't show it.

He does other experiments as well, to see if his teachings are working. He places three pictures in front of her, one of a dog, one of a car, and one of a bloody skull. The baby crawls to them and grabs the one with the bloody skull. He repeats the process, adding more "normal" pictures. Each time, the child chooses the one picture with the morbid vision.

Harrison praises her with a gentle pat on the head. Almost immediately he realizes he shouldn't have done that. Showing affection goes hand in hand with love and compassion and it is forbidden. It's too late to undo his error, so he quickly yells at her and storms out of the room. In Harrison's mind, this act of cruelty will cancel out the loving gesture he made by mistake.

Harrison can see that his daughter is smart. She picks up on things after only being shown once or twice. She is a natural, he thinks. His teaching has really started to have an effect on the little girl.

With time, the baby's speed increases as well; Harrison looks away for only a moment and she is gone. He thinks at this rate she will be walking soon and not long after that she'll be running. It won't be long before the next phase of Harrison's plan will need to be executed. Harrison must prepare her for the future he has already mapped out.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As always, vote, comment and follow me!  Thanks, Mike

Dedication will go to the next person to go to Amazon and give Daddy's Little Girl a review. Just search my name to find the book: Mike Turpen. Be sure to leave a comment letting me know you did it so I can make sure the right person gets the dedication!