Princess in Process

"Why did you do that !" Sheila shrieked, looking at the broken, red glass shaped heart Alex had given me on Valentines day. Now each of its shattered pieces looked at me, softly calling out my name while in pain. Just like how my delicate heart broke and called out to him, but he chose to ignore, exactly what I was doing right now.

Even if those innocent glass pieces weren't at fault, they represented the pain my heart felt, and I was keen on letting him know that I could definitely survive without him, and his cheating ass. I knew I couldn't really do anything to hurt him in return, and I didn't even want to do that. I was better than him, and I would never stoop down to his level, never.

"It's alright Sheila, I.. I don't need this no more... It's just a ba... bad reminder of what we used to have." I said, looking down at the crushed pieces, why did I feel pain inside ? I thought a broken heart was numb...

"Jackie, just stop it !" Sheila said, frustrated. "It's enough now. It's been two weeks now, and you still aren't over it !"

I looked at her as though she'd lost it, didn't she see how bad I was hurting ?

Wasn't it enough ?

Hadn't I cried enough ?

I looked at her with fresh tears in my eyes, I didn't even realise I had so many until that fine day, when I went to visit Alex at his house. I had also bought him a new shirt for our graduation party that night. It was nice, and really expensive, but I hadn't thought twice about it, after all, it was for the man I'd loved. But upon reaching his house, I'd seen the most dreadful scene I could have ever imagined.

Alex sat on the love seat with Monica, my beautiful, trustworthy friend. The girl whom I grew up with, the one who lived right next to me. As sad as it is, they were both undressed and were lovingly sharing ice cream from one bowl... one spoon. Their hair looked wet, as though they both just had a bath and the worse thing was that there was a box of condom lying on the floor, next to the sofa.

Despite my best attempts, a sob had escaped my lips and Alex learned that I had seen everything.

"I'm sorry..." I looked down at the shattered glass, I gently picked up every small piece and returned it in the same box that he'd given it to me in. I slowly packed it. Alex was in for his own sweet, broken surprise.